SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    357 magnum recommendations please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 magnum recommendations please Login/Join 
Picture of arlen
posted
I have purchased a Winchester Model 1873 Sporter Rifle and would like to have your recommendations as to which grain bullet and which bullet type I should use for leisure target shooting.
I definitely want to use a flat nose bullet.
Full Metal Jacket?
Jacketed Soft Point?
Lead Flat Nose?
Semi-Jacketed Soft-Point?
Soft Point?

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Whatever is cheap.

If it is fun shooting, anything will work just fine.

Lead will be fine at moderate velocity, but may lead the bore at full power .357 levels. Remember that you can get 200 (or even more) feet per second out of a rifle barrel as compared to a pistol. But there aren't many full power .357 loads with lead bullets.

You can't go wrong with factory jacketed bullets.

.38 Specials will work great and be pussycats in that rifle.

I've shot bullets of every weight in .357 rifles. I don't usually shoot 110 grain bullets, but I've used everything from 120 grains on up 157. They all shoot fine for casual shooting.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was sorta leaning toward using 125 grain 357 magnum.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
My Win Mod 94 really likes the Federal American Eagle 158gr jsp.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get several boxes of different ammo.

Shoot for groups at 50 yds.

See if your rifle likes one more than any of the others. If yes- buy a bunch of that.

To start I would look at loads by Magtech, Federal, Fiocci, PRVI, PMC 158 gr JSP.

several offerings here:

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/...sale/357-magnum-ammo

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Fiocchi 142gr are my go to range ammo. You can find it for 15 a box sometimes.

For sd I have silvertips, ftx, homegrown 158 jhps and 158 sps.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Federal 158 grain crowd pleasers.

BANG!!!FLASH!!! Probably won't get any flash in a rifle, because the barrel is too long, but they are fun in a revolver.

I have found Federal from WallyWorld to be reasonably priced and pretty stout.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 1892 in .357 Mag.

It is a real tack driver with my hand loaded 163gr Kieth type bullets with 15.5gr of 2400 powder...

It is likely you will have to experiment some to find what load your individual gun likes best.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot the bullet the cartridge was designed for! 158gr for ANYTHING!

Posts: 72 | Registered: January 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sunkist
posted Hide Post
I shoot 158 SWC coated bullets from Acme out of my Henry BB Steel. I load them at about 1100 fps out of a 4" revolver. That load out of the rifle has as much velocity at 100 yds as the revolver has at the muzzle. That works for me.

"In The Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King."

Posts: 161 | Location: North Central Minnesota | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
I have purchased a Winchester Model 1873 Sporter Rifle and would like to have your recommendations as to which grain bullet and which bullet type I should use for leisure target shooting.
Full Metal Jacket?
Jacketed Soft Point?
Lead Flat Nose?
Soft Point?

American Eagle 158 grain JSP! It's inexpensive, yet loaded up...from my 4" Taurus M65 it chronographed around 650 lb-ft of KE which means it will go much higher from a rifle barrel! It comes in boxes of 50. At the speeds obtainable from a rifle length barrel it really doesn't matter what bullet style you choose for the .357 Magnum. Even a FMJ-TC hitting at over 1,800 fps is highly destructive.

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
Full Metal Jacket?
Jacketed Soft Point?
Lead Flat Nose?
Soft Point?

Man, buy whatEVER you want! Out of a rifle the .357 Magnum is bad news to ANYTHING!

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hansgruber:

American Eagle 158 grain JSP!

That's what I use in my Marlin, and it's very accurate on paper at 70 yards with a 2.75x Redfield. I'd post an impressive target, but am too lazy right now.

Edited to add: I don't shoot .38 Specials out of it because the POI is so short.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Magtech 158 grain JSP .357. It's powerful and accurate and relatively clean. Their 38 +P on the other hand is very dirty, stinky crap.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post