SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    The new improved .38 CCI snake loads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new improved .38 CCI snake loads Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
I picked up a couple boxes of them today at the LGS. when I got home with them and began to admire them, I noticed they are labeled "Big 4". And they are loaded with 81 grains of #4 birdshot, offering "improved penetration". I'm not sure I'm thrilled with this. It's always seemed to me that the shortcoming in the old load was a lack of pattern density, not penetration. Anybody have any experience with this "new improved" stuff?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Everything I have is labeled 1/4 oz. #9, did they change it?
Edit:
Nevermind, there are different loadings.
From what I'm seeing it's for medium small critters, I've only every used these on snakes.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/...ntrol_specialty.aspx

Here's a decent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxphDh9ydII

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Those patterns aren't dense enough to be reliable on a rattlesnake, in my opinion. Dang it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's easy to identify the new CCI shot loads. They sport a red plastic capsule rather than blue. I've tested patterns between the old and new #4 shot, in .38 Special, coming out of a 3" revolver barrel. The new stuff is lousy at 6' and beyond, having far too little shot to provide a dense pattern. You'd be fortunate to put down a snake at that distance. I cancelled my order for two boxes of 9mm with the new #4 load. What is CCI thinking?

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sooner or later someone will tout them as a good home-defense load—if, of course, we don’t really want to hurt anyone. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samps:
What is CCI thinking?

Maybe the idea was to make them better for bigger targets (rats, squirrels, etc) although less effective at snakes...

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It's going to be rare for a rat or squirrel to sit quietly while you advance to a position 5' away from him in order to commence firing.

posted Hide Post
I wish CCI would put this load out in .380 with the #12 shot used in their .22lr product. Lots of folks are buying subcompacts for concealed carry. The CCI shotshell has always been a reliable small pest cartridge. The shorter tube on .380s would do a better job at 6'-8' ranges than rimfire rifles do, generally spinning the small pellets out of pattern due to their barrel rifling. I think the .380 would be a big seller. However, the #4 shot now offered in 9mm makes little sense to me.

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
It's going to be rare for a rat or squirrel to sit quietly while you advance to a position 5' away from him in order to commence firing.

That's not how it works for killing rats. Stick a water hose into their tunnels, they will come to the surface and give you plenty of notice as they pop up wet and dazed. They are easy to kill with 'snake shot' that way.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

That's not how it works for killing rats. Stick a water hose into their tunnels, they will come to the surface and give you plenty of notice as they pop up wet and dazed. They are easy to kill with 'snake shot' that way.

Even better, empty soda pop cans out of a slingshot. Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post