SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    On the hunt for 6.5 Grendel ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the hunt for 6.5 Grendel ammo Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
It’s beginning to look like the brass Wolf and PPU are rarely in stock anywhere, leaving the steel cased stuff and even higher dollar hunting stuff. I guess I have two questions... does anyone have a secret place to buy Grendel ammo? Is the cheapo steel cased stuff safe to shoot? I know *nothing* about it and have never shot it. The rifle is a fairly upper end Sons of Liberty Gun Works AR. It wasn’t cheap, the thought of shooting steel cased ammo through it gives me the willies. Unless y’all can change my mind. Confused

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A steel case is harder and has less elasticity than a brass case. The hardness probably isn't an issue with function and longevity for the barrel. The lower elasticity means there will be increased fouling in the chamber, and possibly increased challenges with extraction. Most people advise that one should clean the chamber after shooting steel cased ammo, and before switching to brass cased ammo.

I don't feel there's really an issue with shooting steel cased ammo in a firearm, but I prefer to use brass.

I will not use bi-metal bullets in any firearm of mine -- I will not allow the additional barrel wear. But that's a personal preference. I shoot out barrels fast enough with copper jacketed bullets.

From what I've seen with Wolf and PPU ammo in other calibers, their accuracy stinks. I value accuracy in my rifles, therefore I will pay for ammo which performs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fritz,

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info Fritz!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe take a look at the Hornady American Gunner ammo in 6.5 Grendel at sgammo?

https://www.sgammo.com/product...y-american-gunner-am

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post