SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    CMP best place for Garand ammo?

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMP best place for Garand ammo? Login/Join 
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Seems to certainly be the cheapest but has quite high lead times.
Any suggestions on other places to find decent Garand ammo that is not silly expensive but won't take months for it to arrive while I wait on the CMP ammo?

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 17074 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cabela's has PPU M1 Garand ammo in stock: $409.99/500, not as cheap as SG Ammo($340/500, O/S, click notify me); ammogarand.com has the same for $359.95/500(I/S).

Posts: 42 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 09, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1624 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Besides the CMP ammo, the Prvi Garand ammo that tact870 mentioned is the next best bet. A few more cents per round, but good quality, and the 500 round packs come in a .50 cal ammo can.

Most places are out of stock at the moment, but they are a few that have it at $360-$370 per 500. When they're in stock, places like SGAmmo and AimSurplus tend to sell it for closer to $330/500.

Posts: 17720 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
CMP's ammo turnaround has been no longer than 1 week the times I ordered. You are late to the HXP spam can party that ended last summer and they raised their prices at the beginning of the year, but their loose HXP in a .30 cal can is still the best option. You need to run a vented or hollow gas cylinder screw for any thing modern manufactured lest your gas cylinder get bent out of shape. Or so I've heard.

I've never had a delayed ammo shipment from them, so don't let that be your reason.

Posts: 1442 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
You need to run a vented or hollow gas cylinder screw for any thing modern manufactured lest your gas cylinder get bent out of shape. Or so I've heard.

That's true of most modern commercial .30-06. (Although it's the operating rod that gets bent. It can also result in cracks in the receiver heel.)

However, there are several companies, including the aforementioned Prvi Partizan, who offer loads specifically designed for the M1 Garand. The Prvi ammo we're discussing is safe for Garands.

Federal and Hornady also offer "Garand safe" modern .30-06 ammo. It will be noted as such on the box.

Posts: 17720 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure just making it 150 gr makes them Garand safe, I thought that the propellant was still the problem with these loads and anything other than old slow burning M2 called for the use of the hollow or vented screw. It doesn't hurt to have one, they can be used on any load. I have a vented one I've yet to install in case I want to try my hand at deer hunting with a Garand some day.

Posts: 1442 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Garand Safe Ammo" is made to be within the specs of the original military ammo made for the Garand. I believe that includes not only the dimensions and bullet weight, but also
the propellant pressure, how it builds and resulting velocity of the fired round.
I have long heard of possible operating rod damage in Garands fired with Modern 30.06 Ammo that does NOT meet the same exact specs of Garand Ammo. And with a Garand, Op Rod damage is not always easy or cheap to repair since there's no separate gas piston to simply replace like an M-14 or M1A Gas System.

Posts: 805 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I'm not sure just making it 150 gr makes them Garand safe

Who said that's all it involved?

quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
"Garand Safe Ammo" is made to be within the specs of the original military ammo made for the Garand. I believe that includes not only the dimensions and bullet weight, but also
the propellant pressure, how it builds and resulting velocity of the fired round.

Correct. It's more than just slapping a 150 grain bullet in the case, and printing "M1 Garand" on the box. The pressure curve is designed to be within M2 Ball specs.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 92 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post