SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Does anyone have experience with Moly coated bullets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have experience with Moly coated bullets? Login/Join 
Picture of Kuisis
posted
I found a great deal on .243 ammo, loaded with 100 grain moly coated Nosler partitions. They were even cheaper than Remington core-lokt. Has anyone used these types of bullets, and if so do they require any special maintenance?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
According to Mike Rock of Rock Creek Barrels the moly coated bullets create a ring of moly in the throat that is darn near bonded to the barrel. Meaning you can barely scrape it off the barrel with a screw driver. Moly ruins barrels due to this.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Well that explains the price. I will try to remove the moly

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Moly coated bullets hit the competitive shooting scene maybe 15 years ago. The selling points of the moly coating were:

Higher MV with no change in powder load.
Identical MV with lower power load.
Less fouling due to moly coating.
Longer barrel life due to moly coating.

Then the problems started. Moly is hydroscopic, which means it attracts moisture. It is also very difficult to remove from a barrel due to the exact same properties that make it attractive for increased MV or decreased powder load. People started having cleaning and maintenance issues, and pretty much everyone stopped using moly coated bullets. They may still be in use somewhere by someone, but I havent seen them on the firing line in over a decade. As always, YMMV.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post