SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Opinions and Experiences with PPU Ammunition
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions and Experiences with PPU Ammunition Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Good evening all. I recently came into some PPU (PRVI Partizan) ammunition, .40 S&W and 7.62x51mm. I purchased it at my local gun shop because (a) they just received the new shipment after having mostly bare shelves for months and (b) I like them, they've always treated me well and I want to support them.

I would like to hear your opinions and experiences with this ammunition (all calibers but especially the ones I mentioned). Thanks!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No issues with the 40 cal, have shot the 9mm as well.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
PPU makes good ammo.

I've shot a metric buttload of their 9mm, 7.62 NATO, 5.56, and 8mm Mauser, and smaller quanties in calibers like .303, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62x54R, and 8x56R.

Prvi Partizan is one of the largest ammo manufacturers in the world, and several ammo brands subcontract their production to Prvi. For example, if you've ever shot Wolf Gold (Wolf's brass cased ammo line) in a caliber other than .223/5.56, chances are it was actually made by Prvi.

One of the best things about PPU is that they do regular small production runs of less common military surplus calibers. So if you're needing new production ammo for obsolete surplus calibers like 7.92 Kurz, 8.56R, 7.5 French, 8mm Lebel, 7.65 Argentine, 6.5 Carcano, etc., PPU is your best (or sometimes only) option.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of PPU until a couple of years ago.

I was still living in the Richmond, VA area and went on the local gun trading boards to see if anyone was selling any 45ACP ammo.

The gentleman was selling numerous boxes of the caliber manufactured by PPU for a great price and it literally right up the road from the house. I figured what the heck.

Since that time I have bought it any time I can find it in a variety of calibers in 9mm, 45 and .40.

I have never had a problem with any caliber and I feel it shoots very clean. I even took it to a couple of Law Enforcement shooting courses I was sent to and it performed perfectly.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The only PPU ammo I've shot was 5.56mm 55gr FMJ. It was reliable and the sound and recoil were the same as M-193. It wasn't terribly accurate, at least in my AR's. IIRC it shot between 3 and 4 MOA where standard M-193 usually gives me about 2.5 MOA. Wolf Gold has been the most accurate ball ammo in my guns.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
PPU has been good for me over the years. I've actually got a few hundred pieces of PPU virgin .300 Blackout brass and so far it's been great.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Prvi Partizan is one of the largest ammo manufacturers in the world, and several ammo brands subcontract their production to Prvi.

Academy Sports & Outdoors sells ammo under their housebrand Monarch. Monarch brass case pistol ammo is made by PPU; the boxes have 'Made in Serbia' on them. I bought a thousand rounds of it, and it all shot great.

Monarch steel case ammo is made in Russia, probably by the same places that make Wolf and Tula.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've used it in .303. Did quite well and cheaper than "name" brands.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, wish I had bought more years ago when really cheap.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Liked it in 9x19, .32acp, 9x18 and 7.65 Argentine Mauser.

The .380 seemed a bit anemic but it did cycle.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
I use the 308 match. Accuracy is the same as federal match only was around $6 cheaper a box.
Would not hesitate to buy any PPU ammo.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot a roedeer with a .308 PPU SP last spring, no complaints. From me that is, the deer didn't look too happy.

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used it for a couple pistols an ar-15 and a ww2 M1 carbine and never had any problems with it.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Over the last month or so, Target Sports was carrying PPU in .38 Special, a 130-grain FMJ round. It works quite well for me.

My first exposure to this ammo brand was back during the Sandy Hook aftermath. PPU .40 JHP was all the ammo I could find for a SIG P229 back then, and I became a fan.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SCAR 17 likes it. I hear a small burp after every mag I shoot with PPU. It really like the match grade as well but the normal PPU is good to go..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone that commented. I appreciate your input.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've shot a number of their calibers, but their 30 carbine is particularly good, IMO.

FWIW, I've shot their .308 match load out to 1000. It was a chore since I didn't have data on them and they went trans-sonic pretty early, but I did manage to hit the broad side of a barn. Wink

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Overall, never had a problem with it and it’s good brass to reload too.

I will say that PPU seems to be a little hotter than most other ammo.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
They stock some PPU at our range. No one has ever said anything bad about it.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
They stock some PPU at our range. No one has ever said anything bad about it.

You are fortunate your range sells any ammo. At my range you have to purchase a pistol and that entitles you to buy 50 rounds of ammo at three times what it's worth.

Posts: 920 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post