SIGforum
Winchester 115 FMJ

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/7180098324

May 07, 2017, 03:24 PM
350zee
Winchester 115 FMJ
I did use the 'search' function prior to posting this question. Here it goes .

The pistol I used was a Glock 19 Gen4 with a 3.5 Glock disconnector mod. I had '4' misfires. '3' out of '4' fired at 2nd attempt. Fourth one wouldn't ignite. The ammunition was bought at Walmart. They are the 100 round WWB bulk pack @ $25.00 per box here at our local Wally World. Are they known to have hard primers? Or could it be the Glock? I am planning to CCW this pistol after running 200 rounds of Barnes 115 Tac-XPD +P. However, the few boxes of Barnes I've fired so far did not have any issues at all.

Thank you in advance,
350zee

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------
May 07, 2017, 05:20 PM
henryarnaud
WWB doesn't have the best reputation for reliability. More than likely it's the ammo, not the gun. The fact that your Barnes ammo didn't cause any issues reinforces this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
May 07, 2017, 10:13 PM
350zee
Thank you.

I went ahead and used 200 more rounds of the same WWB and only had one misfire this time and it did go off the 2nd attempt with the Glock 19. I guess I'll switch to Remington 115 gr. The LGS is having a sale @ $102.00 for a 500 round box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------
May 08, 2017, 05:22 PM
qxsoup
Friends don't let friends shoot WWB. Period. It is some of the worst ammo available.

For pretty close to the same price by the case you can find either Speer lawman or GECO. They are much better choices.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

May 08, 2017, 06:16 PM
henryarnaud
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Friends don't let friends shoot WWB. Period. It is some of the worst ammo available.

For pretty close to the same price by the case you can find either Speer lawman or GECO. They are much better choices.

I'm a big fan of Speer Lawman practice ammo. It's what I use whenever possible.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
May 08, 2017, 07:55 PM
350zee
Thanks guys. Where do you purchase Speer target ammo?

May 08, 2017, 08:48 PM
henryarnaud
I usually get mine from http://www.sgammo.com/

May 09, 2017, 12:10 AM
egregore
Compare the primers in the duds to those of the fired cases. If there is a good, deep strike in the primer, the gun did its job.
May 09, 2017, 01:05 AM
Jager
quote:
Friends don't let friends shoot WWB.

It wasn't "Winchester White Box".

Winchester White Box is Q4172 and is pretty decent ammunition. Comes in a 50 round box. And it's white. And it preceded the introduction of the entirely different 100 round boxes (USA9MMVP) by a good number of years.

He was shooting the "Value Pack" USA9MMVP budget ammunition from Winchester. Two entirely different animals.

Again, it is not Winchester White Box. It is Winchester Value Pack.
May 09, 2017, 09:01 AM
drabfour
So this:
http://www.winchester.com/Prod...gun/Pages/Q4172.aspx

And this:
http://www.winchester.com/Prod.../Pages/USA9MMVP.aspx

And even this:
http://www.winchester.com/Prod...gun/Pages/USA9W.aspx

Are all different ammo? Confused
May 09, 2017, 08:37 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Another option for Speer Target:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/default.aspx
May 09, 2017, 11:16 PM
burnetma
Just say no to Winchester.

Federal or Speer or Georgia Arms for me. Never an ammo related issue.
May 10, 2017, 03:18 AM
350zee
Thank you guys for the support. This is the best forum ever.

The strikes on the dud aren't different than the other spent casings. I'm convinced it isn't the Glock 19.

I made up my mind and switched to Speer. Two cases are on their way. Should keep me busy for a few weeks.

Thank you all. Such a fine group of people here.

May 10, 2017, 10:36 PM
bobtheelf
I've never had a problem with WWB as far as ignition goes. Weak loads, sure, but they've gone bang every time.
May 11, 2017, 12:09 PM
hoothrewpoo
same experience as Bob for me. I shoot several thousand rounds of 115gr 9mm through various pistols and pistol caliber carbines a year, and WWB is what I use for range ammo almost exclusively. I've not experienced any stoppages with it in production or race guns.
May 12, 2017, 04:55 AM
350zee
Maybe I just ran into a bad batch? The striker's dent on the primers were all consistent. Maybe I should use a different pistol next time and see if I could replicate the issue. I'm just hoping it will go away. I have a few boxes to use up and then I'll be using Speer Lawman.

May 17, 2017, 03:01 AM
Jager
Yes, they are all different and unique ammunition.

You can compare the actual White Box Q4172 rounds with the USA9MMVP rounds (called 'White Box' by people who don't know what they are talking about) and see that they are different in manufacture. I do think the brass may be the same, but beyond that, they are two different animals.

USA9W is "Lead Free" ammunition, that does not use standard lead styphnate primers, but instead, lead-free primers that typically have a reduced shelf life.

Years ago, Winchester introduced the lead free ammunition, and I was forced to buy some because the store I stopped at on the way to the range was out of my normal choices. I had plenty of ammo at home, but would pick up some inexpensive plinking ammo on the way, rather than use my good stuff.

At the range, the results were decent. The brass was very clean after firing, the recoil and accuracy notable. I thought it might be worthwhile to stockpile some.

Talked to a guy who told me the non-lead based primers would not store well. I had to call Winchester anyway, hoping to discover the type of powder they were using, because it sure wasn't 231.

The Winchester factory rep said the powder was a proprietary 'blend' and was not going to be made commercially available. So, I mentioned I was going to purchase several cases to store. He told me that was not advisable, that the lead free primers would not last like standard primers.

I asked how long would they last. He would not answer. I said under ideal storage conditions, indoors, 70 degrees, low humidity, what could I expect? He would not answer. I asked 6 months? He said that shouldn't be a problem. A year? He said he would not recommend that. Whoa, ammo that may start having failures after a year?

No thanks.

People have argued this point with me. Guess what? I don't care. I know what the Winchester factory representative told me - and I see no reason not to believe them when they are telling me about a drawback in their own product.

I have FN 30.06 military ammo from 1959. Military issue stuff. Shoots nicely. I also picked up a case of WWII and then some Viet Nam era 45 ACP ball. Every round went bang and I would'nt hesitate to use any of it to defend my life. I tell people that care to argue about the longevity of non lead based primers to come see me in 50 years.
May 19, 2017, 01:35 PM
mod29
quote:

Well that's interesting.
I have shot a lot of WWB in .44mag, .45 APC and 9mm. I have yet to have a dud. Every single round has fired. Every one.

I have found that ammo to be affordable, reliable and reasonably accurate.

I have found no practical (performance) differences between the 50-rd packages and the 100-rd, other than the 50-rd offers better protection for the round.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mod29,
May 20, 2017, 07:28 PM
az4783054
Hmmm..I shoot a hell of a lot of WINCHESTER White Box (9mm, .40s&w and .357sig) and never had any issues. It's not top tier but it's readily available and relatively inexpensive. Same with PMC and BLASER Brass which I shoot. Some people swear by certain manufacturers and others swear at it.

The manufacturer that gave my guns fits was MAGTECH and some COR-BON jhp. In both cases, they were manufactured out of spec.

When you do run into issues with manufactured ammo, let the manufacturer know. They don't want a bad reputation. That's what I did with the two above. They had me return at their expense the bad batches. They replaced it with fresh boxes and something extra for my experience. No issues with the fresh boxes.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
May 22, 2017, 05:25 PM
rickjz
I find the whole notion of repeatedly reading that WWB is crap ammo interesting. Hmmm... my experience with it then must go against the grain. I have had thousands and thousands of rounds of it through various pistols and revolvers. Out of all the thousands of rounds, I can count on one had the number of times I had issues with it.