SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Sig 357 sig ammo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 357 sig ammo? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Just wondering if anyone has tried it and if so what are your likes and dislikes. I am specifically referring to the JHP variety.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It cycles a pistol just fine and is reasonably accurate. However, the Sig V-crown JHP design is a very poor defensive choice in the smaller diameter bullets. In 9mm and .357sig it shows poor penetration, and a tendency to break apart when shooting through barriers since its jacket, and expansion petals are fragile. It is basically early 1990s bullet technology which favors the larger calibers. The .40 and .45 do "okay" with it, since the expansion petals on them are much thicker and robust.

I would stick with more proven designs like Federal HSTs, Federal Tactical Bonded, Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger Talons, or Winchester Ranger Bonded.

Posts: 727 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Speer 125 grain Gold Dot is my choice. I prefer the somewhat higher-velocity version, but there isn’t much difference between it and the much more common “limited penetration” load that the Air Marshals use (or did at one time).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd only use their JHP ammo for plinking or bowling pin shoots.

Speer Gold Dots or Federal HSTs for me.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I have the SIG branded .357sig ammo and have had zero issues. As far as the JHP, I have a couple of boxes which are in my ammo collection and have not yet fired, so I cant comment. I will say I have 10mm, 45, 9mm, and .357sig in FMJ SIG ammo and all have been good.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry the Sig V-crown 125 grain ammunition.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I like the FMJ they make but for defensive ammo I like gold dots or hornady Critical Duty

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Speer Gold Dots.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
During a Black Friday sale my Sig dealer had 357 Sig FMJ for $20.84/50 - I reload and this was the best for collecting brass - Hard to find on the floor. - I like the round and love my reloads -

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gold dot or hst here. would love to find some hst and kick myself often for not stocking up when it was available. I've got plenty of gold dot though. Also, both those rounds feed well in my sigs.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winchester Ranger bonded for me, love the stuff.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
125gr Cor-Bon JHP -- clocks an honest 1400fps+, and is among the most accurate rounds I've fired from any of my .357s.

Ironically, most accurate load, Georgia Arms FMJ.

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
Winchester Ranger T and Ranger Bonded in 357 Sig have been my choice for personal defense. Accuracy is about the best I have seen and performance is said to be among the best, especially for barrier penetration.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWESOMO 4000:
125gr Cor-Bon JHP -- clocks an honest 1400fps+, and is among the most accurate rounds I've fired from any of my .357s.

Interesting. When I measured it out of my P320 I got 1325 fps compared to 1390 fps for the Gold Dot. I wonder if their quality control from batch to batch is lacking?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post