SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Rem UMC is nasty!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem UMC is nasty! Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted
I bought a 100 rnd pack of Rem UMC 9mm not too long ago. I usually use WWB or Federal but this was on sale. This was the smelliest, nastiest ammo I have ever put through a pistol. I only shot 50 rounds but the residue and soot looked like at least 300 or more rounds had been fired. I don't mind cleaning but this was not fun. Anyone else have problems with this ammo?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Yep, dirty and usually pretty low power even for range plinking ammo.

Haven't bought their stuff in years.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
In all fairness to Remington, they used to be "top shelf" ammo makers. Among the very best in fact. I'm not sure you can indict all loadings they produce because of one box of economy priced ammo. The next guy along may pay for full priced or even premium SD ammo and get good value. Or not. The same goes for Winchester. At one time they marketed the very best stuff.

But companies change hands. One of the things they pay for is the good name. Then they have fun destroying that image and good will to pick off some quick profits selling sub standard items at top prices. Or during a ammo shortage, they put out what they can and you buy it with confidence. Ill founded confidence.

50 years ago, CCI was considered a Johnny come lately and producer of garbage. It took years and years for them to finally be recognized as a quality product.

Making the situation even worse is that the ammo maker can't control the use of their product. If you're a reloader you know that some loads do really well in rifles and generate immense soot in a revolver. Just 20 short inches of barrel difference and look what happens.

I used to buy Remington golden bullet 22s because in the mid 1960s they were the cats meow. They produced target grade performance in my little Browning rifle. Better at that juncture than the crappy brands like Winchester or CCI. Except times change. A while back I went to a gun counter (admittedly a discounter) and picked up a brick of my formerly preferred ammo. You know, the stuff I could count on. It was both dirty and inaccurate. What happened? Just a few decades, a change in management and maybe ownership.

So my conclusion is simple. Thanks for your report of how that box of ammo worked in your gun. Its how we learn, the school of hard knocks. I wouldn't be expecting the OP to buy any more of it. But in 20 years, that situation may again reverse itself.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I'll buy it if an extremely good deal. It is the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
I'll buy it if an extremely good deal. It is the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot.

AND very low powered too.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Years ago I used to shoot UMC exclusively. I have switched to either Lawman or GECO. UMC has really gone downhill. It's a shame because for a long time they were the best value out there.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember shooting UMC in the mid/late 90s. It was really dirty back then, too. Haven't shot it since because of that experience.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
It is pretty dirty indeed. Not as dirty as some new (to me) Winchester USA forged ammo from Walmart. With that stuff, even so much as handling the unfired rounds will leave your fingers black!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Budget ammo, budget results. Another reason I reload.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot 500 rounds of that umc 9 out of a shield one day and was disturbed at how dirty that pistol and my clothing was after. Seemed to perform fine for range ammo though. It was a decent price too i think like .20 a round. I haven't bought any since though.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
I picked up 2 cases during the Black Friday sale getting $5/box back. It's surely not the worst ammo I've used at the range. Per round cost (just over .18/ea delivered to my door), I really cannot complain.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
I'd rather pay a few bucks more for cleaner shooting ammo. You get what you pay for.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I bought a 250 round "value pack" of their UMC 9mm a year ago or so. Had a bad primer in about every other mag.
I prefer Blazer Brass, Lawman, or Federal AE for punching paper.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

UMC - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1145, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 335

Blazer Brass 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1145, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 335

AE 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1180, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 356

MagTech 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1135, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 330

PMC 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1150, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 338

Dirty as a two dollar whore, but it goes bang and isn't as underpowered as some might think. I have listed several other range ammo's I use for comparison.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

UMC - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1145, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 335

Blazer Brass 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1145, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 335

AE 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1180, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 356

MagTech 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1135, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 330

PMC 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1150, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 338

Dirty as a two dollar whore, but it goes bang and isn't as underpowered as some might think. I have listed several other range ammo's I use for comparison.

I don't trust those numbers regarding UMC, some rounds can barely cycle a weapon.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I've tried UMC several times. It goes bang but yes it's dirty. I've also noticed it to be less accurate than other budget offerings, but that's just been my experience. I don't use it anymore.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I never used it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^ THIS ^^

It makes WWB look like it's clean as a new penny. Fortunately, I haven't been desperate enough for ammo in a long time to purchase UMC.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dirty, yes, but it shoots rather well through my Beretta 92's.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
It is pretty dirty indeed. Not as dirty as some new (to me) Winchester USA forged ammo from Walmart. With that stuff, even so much as handling the unfired rounds will leave your fingers black!

Winchester white box ammo from Walmart has always been disgusting and dirty for me... never had any issues with it, but it's dirty

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post