SIGforum
Rem UMC is nasty!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/6910025614

December 28, 2016, 03:49 PM
fiasconva
Rem UMC is nasty!
I bought a 100 rnd pack of Rem UMC 9mm not too long ago. I usually use WWB or Federal but this was on sale. This was the smelliest, nastiest ammo I have ever put through a pistol. I only shot 50 rounds but the residue and soot looked like at least 300 or more rounds had been fired. I don't mind cleaning but this was not fun. Anyone else have problems with this ammo?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra
December 28, 2016, 06:30 PM
jjkroll32
Yep, dirty and usually pretty low power even for range plinking ammo.

Haven't bought their stuff in years.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight
December 28, 2016, 08:04 PM
rburg
In all fairness to Remington, they used to be "top shelf" ammo makers. Among the very best in fact. I'm not sure you can indict all loadings they produce because of one box of economy priced ammo. The next guy along may pay for full priced or even premium SD ammo and get good value. Or not. The same goes for Winchester. At one time they marketed the very best stuff.

But companies change hands. One of the things they pay for is the good name. Then they have fun destroying that image and good will to pick off some quick profits selling sub standard items at top prices. Or during a ammo shortage, they put out what they can and you buy it with confidence. Ill founded confidence.

50 years ago, CCI was considered a Johnny come lately and producer of garbage. It took years and years for them to finally be recognized as a quality product.

Making the situation even worse is that the ammo maker can't control the use of their product. If you're a reloader you know that some loads do really well in rifles and generate immense soot in a revolver. Just 20 short inches of barrel difference and look what happens.

I used to buy Remington golden bullet 22s because in the mid 1960s they were the cats meow. They produced target grade performance in my little Browning rifle. Better at that juncture than the crappy brands like Winchester or CCI. Except times change. A while back I went to a gun counter (admittedly a discounter) and picked up a brick of my formerly preferred ammo. You know, the stuff I could count on. It was both dirty and inaccurate. What happened? Just a few decades, a change in management and maybe ownership.

So my conclusion is simple. Thanks for your report of how that box of ammo worked in your gun. Its how we learn, the school of hard knocks. I wouldn't be expecting the OP to buy any more of it. But in 20 years, that situation may again reverse itself.

Unhappy ammo seeker
January 04, 2017, 09:34 PM
AZSigs
I'll buy it if an extremely good deal. It is the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
January 25, 2017, 04:23 AM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
I'll buy it if an extremely good deal. It is the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot.

AND very low powered too.
January 25, 2017, 10:26 AM
qxsoup
Years ago I used to shoot UMC exclusively. I have switched to either Lawman or GECO. UMC has really gone downhill. It's a shame because for a long time they were the best value out there.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

January 28, 2017, 10:12 AM
RobLew
I remember shooting UMC in the mid/late 90s. It was really dirty back then, too. Haven't shot it since because of that experience.

...that I will support
and defend...
January 30, 2017, 02:22 PM
Fusternc
It is pretty dirty indeed. Not as dirty as some new (to me) Winchester USA forged ammo from Walmart. With that stuff, even so much as handling the unfired rounds will leave your fingers black!
January 30, 2017, 02:49 PM
fredj338
Budget ammo, budget results. Another reason I reload.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading
January 31, 2017, 03:22 PM
Virginia sheepdog
I shot 500 rounds of that umc 9 out of a shield one day and was disturbed at how dirty that pistol and my clothing was after. Seemed to perform fine for range ammo though. It was a decent price too i think like .20 a round. I haven't bought any since though.
January 31, 2017, 09:21 PM
dEX_RX
I picked up 2 cases during the Black Friday sale getting $5/box back. It's surely not the worst ammo I've used at the range. Per round cost (just over .18/ea delivered to my door), I really cannot complain.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE
March 15, 2017, 04:50 PM
lingham
I'd rather pay a few bucks more for cleaner shooting ammo. You get what you pay for.

GOD, Family, Country
March 15, 2017, 05:34 PM
Ryanp225
I bought a 250 round "value pack" of their UMC 9mm a year ago or so. Had a bad primer in about every other mag.
I prefer Blazer Brass, Lawman, or Federal AE for punching paper.
March 15, 2017, 06:37 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

UMC - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1145, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 335

Blazer Brass 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1145, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 335

AE 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1180, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 356

MagTech 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1135, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 330

PMC 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1150, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 338

Dirty as a two dollar whore, but it goes bang and isn't as underpowered as some might think. I have listed several other range ammo's I use for comparison.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 17, 2017, 11:55 PM
was0311
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

UMC - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1145, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 335

Blazer Brass 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1145, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 335

AE 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1180, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 356

MagTech 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1135, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 330

PMC 115gr - Muzzle Velocity (fps) 1150, Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) 338

Dirty as a two dollar whore, but it goes bang and isn't as underpowered as some might think. I have listed several other range ammo's I use for comparison.

I don't trust those numbers regarding UMC, some rounds can barely cycle a weapon.
March 20, 2017, 11:54 AM
thunderson
I've tried UMC several times. It goes bang but yes it's dirty. I've also noticed it to be less accurate than other budget offerings, but that's just been my experience. I don't use it anymore.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown
May 23, 2017, 12:02 PM
jhe888
I never used it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
May 24, 2017, 05:43 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^ THIS ^^

It makes WWB look like it's clean as a new penny. Fortunately, I haven't been desperate enough for ammo in a long time to purchase UMC.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
May 25, 2017, 05:01 PM
Sigwheeler
Dirty, yes, but it shoots rather well through my Beretta 92's.
May 27, 2017, 10:31 PM
Kskelton
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
It is pretty dirty indeed. Not as dirty as some new (to me) Winchester USA forged ammo from Walmart. With that stuff, even so much as handling the unfired rounds will leave your fingers black!

Winchester white box ammo from Walmart has always been disgusting and dirty for me... never had any issues with it, but it's dirty

www.OneStopFirearms.com