SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Any Factory 44 Special Defense Loads?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Factory 44 Special Defense Loads? Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
I just recently traded into a 3" S&W 624. I don't really plan on carrying it around but are there and decent factory self defense loads out there? It came with two boxes of Hornady Critical Defense in 165gr. Any good in 44 Special? Seems kind of light if the 'standard' load is around 240gr.

Thanks.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Good selection here: https://www.midwayusa.com/44-special/br?cid=21819

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is high quality stuff here. Have ordered before.

/underwoodammo.com/product-category/handgun-ammo/44-special/

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Given what they have in stock the Blazer AL loaded with GolDots would be my choice. Only issue I have ever had with Blazer AL is they tend to hold on to the cylinder walls after being shot. Not as slick as nickel plated and even unplated brass has never stuck as much as AL. But they would eject when I pushed the extractor rod.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Underwood. I use it for a lowered recoil load in my Super Blackhawk.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
For factory I would probably buy the Underwood 200gr. Gold Dot loading in either "Bulldog" or the higher velocity version.

I am trying to standardize on 240gr. Pills for the .44 SPL. I had my custom loader load some Remington 240gr. JHP on top of 8.0gr on N350 in new nickel plated Starline cases. I have not shot any yet, but I suspect they will be a borderline handful in my Bisley Blackhawk and S&W Model 24-3 4 inch. I am not sure yet if the loading will work they way I want it to or not. I should know later this summer after I get time to actually test them.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.buffalobore.com/in...product_detail&p=306

200 grain solid copper hollow point at 1000 fps in a 3 incher is a solid self defense round

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Grizzly offers a 260gr lead at 900fps, I am considering it. Its got a good broad edge

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post