SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Aguila 22 LR SuperExtra 40 gr copper plated ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aguila 22 LR SuperExtra 40 gr copper plated ? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
What are the experiences of those that have tried this Aguila 22 SuperExtra 40 gr copper plated?

Target Sports USA has the brick of 500 for $17.99. I was thinking of picking up a brick to try at that price. Thoughts on reliability and accuracy? I would primarily be shooting it in my new Browning Buckmark and M&P 22 Compact pistols out to 25 yards. I usually shoot CCI Mini Mag 40 gr, Federal Champion 36 gr bulk pack 525, and recently bought a brick of CCI SV. IMO hard to beat CCI Mini Mags but if I can save a little money and get good results it would be worth trying too.

I understand that results will vary with different ammo from gun to gun but still love to hear any opinions.

Thanks for sharing any experiences. It sure is great seeing 22 LR plentiful and cheap again and I am going to increase inventory soon.

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...1b222328-p-3436.aspx

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s about $3 cheaper a box than I’ve been paying locally. It’s good quality stuff. No squibs or duds. Seems more consistent than many of the “name brands”.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of this ammo. There seems to be excessive wax on the bullets. I start to have feeding problems after going through a couple of mags. Ammo was used in Ruger Mk3, Mk4, Smith Model 41, 422. Accuracy seemed fine.

I stick with Mini Mags and CCI SV at this point. I am saving the rest of the Aquila for a .22 revolver. I paid a bit more than $18 a brick. Maybe give it a try and see if it works for you? I found if I remove the wax, they feed fine. Cleaned 2 boxes and shot them all without any failures. Not going to clean thousands of them. The excess wax might just be a problem with the batch I received.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else here has had a similar experience with this ammo.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
That’s about $3 cheaper a box than I’ve been paying locally. It’s good quality stuff. No squibs or duds. Seems more consistent than many of the “name brands”.

Good to hear and thanks. Smile

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
I have plenty of this ammo. There seems to be excessive wax on the bullets. I start to have feeding problems after going through a couple of mags. Ammo was used in Ruger Mk3, Mk4, Smith Model 41, 422. Accuracy seemed fine.

I stick with Mini Mags and CCI SV at this point. I am saving the rest of the Aquila for a .22 revolver. I paid a bit more than $18 a brick. Maybe give it a try and see if it works for you? I found if I remove the wax, they feed fine. Cleaned 2 boxes and shot them all without any failures. Not going to clean thousands of them. The excess wax might just be a problem with the batch I received.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else here has had a similar experience with this ammo.

That is very interesting about the wax and not something I want to deal with. Thanks for that and I think I will probably buy a couple 50 round boxes at Cabelas first to see how it goes. Smile CCi SV is pretty cheap these days too and so far I have been very impressed shooting it in my 22 pistols.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have not noticed any unusual amount of wax on the Aguila SE I’ve bought, but most has been used in a .22 revolver.

Just checked several boxes. No noticeable wax unless I rub the bullet between my fingers, then I can feel a slight amount. I can’t see any way there’s enough to cause an issue. Maybe their cartridge waxing is inconsistent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I shoot Aguila Pistol Match .22 LR exclusively in my Beretta 87 Target. No “excessive wax”. And the bullets are well clinched in the cases.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
For my M&P 22 Compact I don't mind using copper washed, but for the BuckMark I prefer lead. It's more accurate in most of my guns and for the BuckMark it feeds through the Ultimate Cliploader well.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I wish this stuff would work as well for me as it does for you guys. I bought a bunch when .22 was very hard to find a few years back. The bulk price was cheap and less than half the cost of Mini Mags at the time.

I just loaded up 10 magazines with SE. I cleaned the lubricant from 2 more boxes of 50. Gonna try again this Sunday.

Maybe the wax lubricant is not the reason why it doesn't work so well for me, but it sure seems to have more lube than any other type of .22 brand I have here. The problem seems to always be with feeding, not ejecting.

If I still have issues with this stuff, I'll have to accept the fact my guns don't jibe with this ammo and offer it up in the classifieds cheap to a local forum member.

I have a Prime Target Sports membership, so maybe I'll pick up a few boxes of Aguila Pistol Match. It is more than twice the price of Super Extra, so it must be good..... Smile

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an older post.....

Finally got around to shooting my Ruger MK3 22/45 Lite with Aquila Super Extra. 12 magazines (120 Rds.) The gun and mags were just cleaned.

It worked without issue. I'll try another 120 rounds next time I go to the range......I do not plan on cleaning the gun or magazines beforehand....

I know my Smith 422 and M41 do not like Aguila SE, but if it works in the Ruger, I'll be happy since I have a decent stash.

Glad to have a nice supply of Mini Mags for the more finicky pistols....

EW

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. I bought a couple bricks of the Aguila SE 40 gr plated from Target Sports while it was still cheap and plentiful. So far it has worked fine in my M&P 22 Compact but I have not shot that much of it yet. Hopefully I will be able to get back to the range soon as here in Illinois my range is only open to LEO and those practicing for CCW range test. Apparently Illinois governor does not care if regular people with CCW permit ever practice.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I just fired off a couple of hundred rounds of Aguila SE HV 40g in my S&W 22 Victory and my Ruger 22 Charger. Groups well at 25 yards.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would put my experience with aguila as very positive, and would consider only cci better for ammo made this side of the Atlantic.

Both Winchester and Remington 22 ammo is so poor quality these days ( and federal only marginally better) that I would only use these brands if I had no choice like in the 2012-2016 time frame.

For plinking or steel challenge level performance CCI or Aguila

For accuracy intense activity, Eley or SK
( I have been very happy with Eley action, very consistent in accuracy and function in my guns that will run a standard velocity ammo, with a recent sale from Killough shooting sports making it about $25 per brick with shipping)

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post