SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    How much ammunition does the average "defensive" pistol shooter keep on hand?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much ammunition does the average "defensive" pistol shooter keep on hand? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Defensive ammo? Maybe 2~400 per caliber but I never shoot it.
Hell I still have a little of those deadly Black Talons. Eek
I should say rarely I will empty a mag at the range on occasion.
I keep mags loaded and RTG though.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I think the average person doesn't keep very much on hand and I think the reason is that they "think" they've got a lot.

What do I mean by that? Let me tell you about 2 different people I shoot with every week, both reloaders.

Talking to the first one, she said she'd just bought 1,000 bullets for her and her husband's .380 ACP pistols. She said "we're set for a long time." I said wait a minute. You and your husband shoot 100 rounds a week each, right? She said yes. I said that she'd be out of bullets in 5 weeks and she got the deer in the headlights look and said she hadn't thought about it that way.

The second one went much the same way and happened last week. At our coffee and BS session after shooting he said he was well fixed for small pistol primers as he had 5,000 in stock. I told him that wasn't much because he shoots twice a week, 100 rounds each day, 200 rounds a week. He's going to be out in 25 weeks and did he really think he was going to be able to buy bulk primers in 6 months. Deer in the headlights look.

People hear a number and think it's a large number but it's not when you sit down and do the math.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
True dat!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My grandfather bought one defensive (arguably) pistol in his life, a Beretta .25ACP Panther. He acquired it in 1958 when some ruffians were hassling him on the way home from work. He carried it (illegally at the time) in his shirt pocket a few times.

He had a total of 6 rounds of 25ACP. I now have that gun along with those six rounds. I doubt he was uncommon in his approach, especially in his day. Prior to the 1980s, handgun ownership wasn't nearly as common unless you were LEO. Maybe he didn't feel the need because prior to about 75 years old, it would have probably taken three guys to give him an ass whippin.

I keep a few hundred defensive loads on hand, and a couple thousand practice. However, I reload, and likely have enough components to build 20,000 more. Even then, I still feel under supplied. Must admit, I haven't been shooting a lot lately.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my BIL's contacted me a few weeks ago for guidance on purchasing a pistol for his wife. She has been after him for a while to get their Texas LTC.

He has a Glock 19. I made a few recommendations and a few days later I found one for a decent price and guided him on having it shipped.

He ordered it. They are taking a 2-day defensive handgun class next month. I asked him if he had enough ammo. He said more than enough so I asked him how much 9mm he has. He responded with 300 rounds of fmj and a box of hollow points.

I told him that was not even enough for the class so he said he would pick some up locally. I told him good luck, if he found any it would be a scalper's prices and if he gets in a bind, give me a call.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I was talking with a couple who are friends yesterday at the range.

She told me they bought/warehoused 8,000 rounds before the Covid thing and were sure it was more than they'd ever need. Now they're down to shooting 25 rounds each per week and worried about where the next ammo is coming from.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post