SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Using 9mm NATO ammo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using 9mm NATO ammo? Login/Join 
posted
I got a good deal on some factory load commercial ammo that was advertised as 9mm 124 gr, which it is, but it actually 9mm NATO.

Any reason not to use it with my Sig P365XL or Sig P320-M17? I assume the M17 should be fine since the military uses the M17 and NATO rounds, but wasn’t sure if the commercial variant is rated the same.

Any concerns with the P365XL and NATO rounds?

I didn’t see anything explicit in either manual saying it was OK or not OK.

Posts: 39 | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It'll work fine in your gun.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
It'll work fine in your gun.

Thanks! Is there really any “premature wear” when you use higher pressure ammo, or is that overblown unless you use thousands of rounds?

I only bought 500 rounds.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Overblown unless you shoot thousands of rounds, which very few people do.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
For many years your question has been hotly debated with folks clearly anchored on one side or the other of the argument. Regardless of what the "experts" at the local gun shop or on the internet say, while loaded to higher pressures than standard 9mm NATO ammunition is not a +P rated load by SAAMI standards. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about using NATO 9mm in a P320 or P365, both of which If I recall correctly are rated for +P ammo.

SAAMI Specs:

9mm standard maximum pressure is 35,000 psi
124gr 9mm NATO maximum pressure is 36,500 psi
9mm +P maximum pressure is 38,500 psi

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I shoot and have shot many thousands of 9mm nato ammo. Like others have said, it is not loaded to +p but is hotter than standard pressure. I have about 3500 rounds of Winchester Ranger 124gr nato that I used for tactical training courses up until last year. I felt it more closely replicated the ammo I use for self defense.

Posts: 2929 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
From the P320 and P365 manuals: “Always use ammunition that complies with the industry performance standards established by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. of the United States (SAAMI) or ammunition manufactured to military specifications.” [Emphasis added.]

Although I’ve seen no independent confirmation, I have long thought that the P320 and variants would be more tolerant of more powerful ammunition because they don’t have the full length aluminum frame rails of the Classic line pistols. It’s steel on steel, and although the slides differ, P320 receivers are all the same whether used in 9mm or 357/40 guns.

It’s slide velocity of the guns that puts the stress on the slide rails and receiver tabs, not chamber pressures per se. If I were concerned about using more powerful ammunition, I’d get a Grayguns recoil spring guide and use it with a more powerful 1911 recoil spring to slow down the cycling.

FWIW, I have fired a bit of the Winchester “NATO” 9mm ammunition (Q4318) in my P365, and it functioned fine. Its average velocity was 1081 fps as compared with 124 grain +P Gold Dot at 1128 fps.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I assumed the M17 would be fine, since Sig makes it’s own line of “M17” ammo to NATO spec.

posted Hide Post
I purchase the 9mm NATO ammo by the case for two of my firearms that were designed for it. I would not use it in old firearms(i.e. P08 Lugers, P38s, etc) as they were not designed for it.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had great success using the NATO rounds for break-in of my 9mm pistols.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This is recommended ammunition for the H&K P7, ¿si?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30533 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
I currently have no 9mm NATO ammo left, but shot a lot of it through my S&W 6906, and my SCCY. Accurate, reliable, and not a problem in the Smith or SCCY. I would load it in my 365XL without a negative thought.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've used thousands of rounds of 9MM NATO in a variety of semi-auto pistols and revolvers over the last 20+ years, with no issues. I have used mostly Winchester Q4318, along with IMI, and some SIG and Federal 9MM NATO. I just ordered another manufactuer's 9MM NATO to try, but expect performance will be very similar to the NATO ammunition I've used for years.

In short, I would not hesitate to use actual 9MM NATO, bearing the cross in a circle NATO headstamp, in any of my 9MM firearms.....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I purchase the 9mm NATO ammo by the case for two of my firearms that were designed for it. I would not use it in old firearms(i.e. P08 Lugers, P38s, etc) as they were not designed for it.

I am under the impression that the factory loaded ammo WAY back when the P08 was new is way hotter than any typical 9MM ammo sold today.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Lets just say I like the stuff. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot any I could get.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

I am under the impression that the factory loaded ammo WAY back when the P08 was new is way hotter than any typical 9MM ammo sold today.

This is a myth and totally untrue!! The original 9mm ammo designed by Georg Luger for his handguns was 123gr. truncated cone lead bullet with a velocity of 1050 FPS. Mr. Luger produced the cartridge that would function correctly in his handguns.

Note: The 9mm rounds for the Luger Carbine(long bbl. and shoulder stock) were of higher velocity in order for the long barrel and toggle train to function properly.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
The original 9mm ammo designed by Georg Luger for his handguns was 123gr. truncated cone lead bullet ....

I have long wondered about the common 123 (or more usually 124) grain weight of 9mm Parabellum bullets and how close those weights are equivalent to the nice, round weight of 8.0 grams. Would the original bullet weight have been specified in grains or in grams? Grains are part of the “English” system of measurements whereas of course grams would have been the measurement in Germany at the time the cartridge was developed.

I think I know the answer to the question, but comments?

As an aside, the precise equivalent of 8.0 grams is 123.459 grains, and 123 grains is a common bullet weight for the 7.62×39mm cartridge, another European round.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The new Winchester M1152 is pretty snappy with a 115 gn flat nose bullet, 1320 FPS.
It was about the same price as 9mm NATO so I picked up a case to try out.
Functioned well in my 365, seems a bit snappier than 9mm NATO

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I've always liked 9mm NATO.
I usually had to pay a premium for it but that is kind of irrelevant now days. Frown

Posts: 22844 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post