SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Tula handgun ammo barrel wear?

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tula handgun ammo barrel wear? Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys, I read where the Tula steel cased ammo in the rifle loads is hard on barrels due to the bimetal rifle bullets. Is that also the case with the handgun loads?

I won't be shooting these loads in my Sigs but I am thinking of using the cheap Tula in my 9mm AR.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Near Orlando, FL | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the jacket material is the same in both types of ammunition I cannot think of why the handgun stuff wouldn’t cause increased wear as well. It might not be the same because of velocity differences, but I would still expect it to be greater.

If I’m wrong I’d be interested in learning.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 35844 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My thoughts ,if you are concerned ,don't use it.
In my sixty years of shooting I have not ever worn out any gun.
I have rebarreled two M-1 though.
I think they got abused before I got them from cmp but they were tagged with barrel erosion thus the cheaper price.

Posts: 20623 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky Gunner tested bimetal vs. copper bullet ammo on AR-15s awhile back. They felt the harder bimetal bullets were the primary cause of increased barrel wear between the two types of ammo.

If you plan to shoot really high volumes of ammo through your AR, barrel wear rate may be a consideration.

Posts: 4446 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
It probably will increase wear, there have been tests that it does do that. But it isn't like you shoot a case and suddenly the barrel is worn out.

Chances are if you shoot enough bimetal jacketed ammo the cost savings over other factory ammo will be enough to pay for several barrels.

-------
Take your time, I'm hourly.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

The opinions posted by this user are his own. And do not represent the opinions of his employer or sponsors.

Posts: 19558 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Lucky Gunner tested bimetal vs. copper bullet ammo on AR-15s awhile back. They felt the harder bimetal bullets were the primary cause of increased barrel wear between the two types of ammo.

If you plan to shoot really high volumes of ammo through your AR, barrel wear rate may be a consideration.

One of the opinions to come out of that test was by the time you shoot out a barrel, you've saved enough money with the cheaper ammo to replace it.

Posts: 4810 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

One of the opinions to come out of that test was by the time you shoot out a barrel, you've saved enough money with the cheaper ammo to replace it.

I agree. But, for 90 percent of the gun buying population, it doesn't matter. They are working on the academic, and not the practical, as they will never shoot enough to realize that difference.

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 29049 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is true that the vast majority of shooters will never even come close to shooting out a barrel. In one website after the next we see people continuously buying guns when they "get bored" with their existing fleet of firearms. I haven't shot out a barrel yet, but I have three rifles with barrels in their twilight years -- replacement barrels are already in hand.

What I take from the Lucky Gunner's test is how the rifles deteriorated over time in both reliability and accuracy while using bimetal bullets. I demand great accuracy out of all my rifles, regardless of their being an SBR, a training carbine, or a precision competition AR. Thus, Lucky Gunner's "better" American Eagle ammo is bottom feeder ammo in my carbine.

I understand the appeal of using the cheaper bimetal & steel cased ammo in order to save ammo money and train more often, barrel life be damned. Not my way, but I get it.

Posts: 4446 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post