SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    CB Long Rifle???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CB Long Rifle??? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I have CB Short ammo left over from a bolt gun that would feed all 3 lengths of .22’s, but my latest acquisition is for LR only, so I’m wondering if there is such thing as CB’s in the LR case length? If so, my Google-fu is sucking because I haven’t found any yet. I would have sworn I’d heard of them before... Am I just imagining something that doesn’t exist?

Thanks in advance!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
CCI "Quiet 22" may do what you want, and they have a CB Long load, too. The Long has a LR case with a 29gr bullet like a Short.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
CCI "Quiet 22" may do what you want, and they have a CB Long load, too. The Long has a LR case with a 29gr bullet like a Short.

Well if the case length of the CB Long is the same as a .22LR case, then that will be perfect! I thought CB Longs were a little bit shorter in case length as well as overall... but if the case is the same, then my little Romanian M69 bolt rifle should feed them well enough to make them usable. Thanks!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I have CB Short ammo left over from a bolt gun that would feed all 3 lengths of .22’s

It's OK to shoot various case-length 22 ammo if your gun allows it. Understand that short case-length ammo in a long case-length chamber will foul the forward portion of the chamber somewhat. Over time and with lots of rounds, the chamber fouling could result in serious consequences. First, with long case-length ammo there could be increased pressure upon firing a round. Second, if the fouling is really bad (especially with lead from the bullets), the longer ammo may not fully chamber -- this could result in either a "click" or firing the round out of battery.

It's important that you really keep the chamber clean if you are going to use shorter 22 ammo, then switch back to longer ammo down the road.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it’ll shoot the shorts, it just won’t feed them from the mag. I tried some last night in my workshop and they have to be loaded one at a time through the ejection port.

Bill R.
North Alabama

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The site isn't loading for me, but go to aguilaammo.com and look for a load called "Colibri" (if they still make it). This is a .22 LR with priming compound and bullet only, no powder. Be sure it actually exits the barrel.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The site isn't loading for me, but go to aguilaammo.com and look for a load called "Colibri" (if they still make it). This is a .22 LR with priming compound and bullet only, no powder. Be sure it actually exits the barrel.

I saw this advertised on somebody's website the other night... I think. Will have to go back and look again now! Might just be the ticket I'm looking for if they still make it. Thanks!

Edit to add: Yes, it was on Cabela's site, and obviously still made! They are only showing it priced by the brick, so I gotta see if the local store will sell me a box of 50 to try first before investing in any larger quantities. Actually, I can't imagine shooting 500 rounds of the stuff during the remainder of my lifetime!

2nd Edit: A closer look at the Cabela's write-up states it is available in both 50 round and 500 round sizes, so will be heading to my local store shortly to see if they have any. I would call first, but I used to work there in the gun dept and know better than to even try...

Bill R.
North Alabama

posted Hide Post
Understand that the Colibri ammo is powered only by the primer. Muzzle velocity is 300-400 fps at best, and there are potential issues with bullets not having enough power to exit some rifle barrels.

Of course, the Colibri ammo will be quiet. It has limited effective range, say maybe 25 yards. With such slow muzzle velocity the bullets will drop like a rock at even relatively short distances.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
My local Cabela's was showing Out Of Stock on all of the Colibri ammo, so I drove the other direction to my favorite LGS instead since I wanted to look for a vintage-looking mil-surp style strap for my Romanian M69.... and they had both!

Yes, the Colibri is powered by primer only, but so is the CCI CB line-up (to the best of my knowledge), so it is definitely low-powered (Aguila claims 420 fps) and for close range only! I wouldn't expect to shoot it further than 25' max for vermin control around the house outside, and occasionally on an indoor range when nobody else is at home. It is even less powerful than a .22 Short, and quieter too, but at least it'll feed from the magazine and not have to be hand fed one shot at a time! In other words, it is what it is, and I'm well aware of its limitations... and I'm okay with that. Oh, and it does exit the barrel quite nicely! Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I believe the CCI CB Long and Quiet .22LR are both doing just over 700fps. To my ear, there's no real difference in the sound level.

Aguila also makes the Super Colibri, which is supposedly better for use in rifle length barrels. Neither of the Aguila Colibri products seem as powerful as the CCI. They use a 20gr bullet instead of the 29 or 40 grain bullet the CCI products use.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I believe the CCI CB Long and Quiet .22LR are both doing just over 700fps. To my ear, there's no real difference in the sound level.

Aguila also makes the Super Colibri, which is supposedly better for use in rifle length barrels. Neither of the Aguila Colibri products seem as powerful as the CCI. They use a 20gr bullet instead of the 29 or 40 grain bullet the CCI products use.

Good points! I’ll probably burn up the Colibri inside the house here, and once that is gone will stick with the CCI products. I just hope I can find them locally because I hate ordering small quantities of ammo mail order.

Bill R.
North Alabama