SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Best barrier penetrating 9mm

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best barrier penetrating 9mm Login/Join 
posted
What 9mm round is the best for barrier penetration such as car doors, wood, auto glass? Would a +p round be any more beneficial?

There is no cure for stupidity, you either die from it or with it.

Posts: 4249 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Don't have any specific data or source reflecting this opinion, but I would say a 147gr bullet (+P) would be preferable.

Posts: 2895 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
Don't have any specific data or source reflecting this opinion, but I would say a 147gr bullet (+P) would be preferable.

Hollow point, ball?

There is no cure for stupidity, you either die from it or with it.

Posts: 4249 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Experiments have demonstrated that hollow point handgun bullets perforate windshield glass better than FMJ. The former tend to deform to the glass surface rather than glancing off as can sometimes (not always, of course) FMJ.

It’s an interesting commentary on the spread of the idiotic “all handgun cartridges perform the same” notion that we would even wonder for a second if more power was better for penetration, but yes, +P would be better. That assumes, of course, that the +P rating actually means more power; it doesn’t always. A couple of loads in which it does are the Gold Dot 124 grain +P and the Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ load.

I haven’t performed any windshield or auto sheet metal penetration experiments with 9mm, but in 357 SIG, Gold Dot bullets went through windshields far better with much less point of aim to point of impact deviation than 45 ACP FMJ. I suspect that Gold Dot or another bonded bullet design would be best in 9mm as well. I would look at kinetic energy figures, but I would probably avoid 115 grain loads for the purpose.

And FWIW, when a full power 357 SIG load from a 4.4" P226 does not perforate auto sheet metal very well, no 9mm load will do any better.

Dear Karma, I have a list of people you missed.

Posts: 40965 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd check out the ballistic data on the ATK LE website. The FBI protocol tests might be useful, particularly the auto glass and sheet metal tests.. You can also look up Dr Roberts comments on line.

Posts: 4189 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post