SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    .38 Super +P Ammo Availability?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.38 Super +P Ammo Availability? Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

I've been shopping for some good .38 Super ammunition and coming up short...

There is plenty of FMJ ammo, but good JHP seems hard to come by. I'm looking for a 125 grain JHP at about 1,350 FPS. It seems that only "boutique" type loads are available and they are hideously expensive or out of stock. I'm not paying $2.00 a round for carry ammo.
After looking it seems that Double Tap offers a good load, but is out of stock most places. I suppose that I can always crank up the Dillon and load my own, but I don't like carrying reloads for self-defense.

Any suggestions? My pistol is a Stainless Government Model Colt...

Thanks,

Wes

Posts: 2423 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Reloading is your best bet. As you know, there are many choices in HP if you reload them and the price is reasonable. Why the hesitance in carrying reloads?

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly not cheap, but not $2 a round.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/...riant=18785726300217

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Sportsman’s Warehouse shows a 20 round box of Sig V-Crown for $15 on sale. It lists at 1250fps.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Go with your own reload. I use Hornady XTP 130 grain loaded to around 1400 fps. Works great and I can afford to practice with what I carry. Accurate powders have about the best pressure to velocity loads I can find and you want to watch pressure as your Colt has an unsupported chamber.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go with your own reload. I use Hornady XTP 130 grain loaded to around 1400 fps. Works great and I can afford to practice with what I carry. Accurate powders have about the best pressure to velocity loads I can find and you want to watch pressure as your Colt has an unsupported chamber.

This is good advice. I use Accurate #7 with a 124g HP from 1350-1400.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Weird - Winchester PDX is nowhere to be found.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Wilson combat offers several defensive minded loads. $1.50 a round or so.

I've sampled their signature match and found it very accurate and consistent, though I can roll my own as well.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t load your own and want to carry that particular gun, then you have to ask yourself if your life is worth $2 per round Smile. Ball is every where, but most of what you buy off the shelf is downloaded anyway.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I started hoarding Super factory ammo 10 or 12 years ago, now have about 40 boxes of it and about 10 of 38 Auto. It was pretty easy to find and not so expensive when I started.

In addition to lots of round nose, I have HP in 115 gr. Remington, 125 gr. Winchester Silver Tip, 115 PMC, and 100 gr. Powerball. Some of this stuff is probably not available any more, and some of it will not make the 1350 you are seeking.

I have tested it extensively, and to get that fps with a 125 gr. pill your best bet will be to reload.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again, you need to reload. I always did, until I sold the gun, Frown am stuck with a few boxes of loaded ammo and a almost FULL case of new Remington
brass. Still haven't found a use for the brassm but can use the case of bullets. Smile

Posts: 134 | Location: Berryville, VA | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post