New
Find
Notify
Tools
New to 22LR Login/Join 
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted
I recently picked up the 22LR conversion kit for my 228, for cheap plinking. I see that ammo comes in 40, 36+/-, and 26+/- gr weights. Are they designed for specific duties?

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." Mike Rowe
NRA Life Member

Posts: 6134 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
40gr ammo is your everyday shooter, lead bullet, cheap .22LR fodder. Semi-auto 22LR guns are notorious for being picky about what ammo they'll feed reliably. Even two rifles of the same make and model won't necessarily work best with the same ammo. You just have to try a few different ones and pick the one that your gun feeds best and is sufficiently accurate. That said, some brands of ammo tend to be more dependable. My long time favorite has been the CCI Mini-Mags, but I imagine others will chime in their recommendations.

36gr ammo is usually jacketed hollow-point. It generally works as well as the 40gr stuff in most guns, and makes a good all-purpose round suitable for punching both paper and ground squirrels. The super lightweight ammo is normally labeled "hyper-velocity" or something similar. The higher velocity in intended to improve its terminal performance - i.e., expansion - on varmints. If you're hunting meat for the stew pot, don't use this stuff, stick to the heavier solid bullets. Wink

One drawback of the hyper-velocity stuff is that their bullet profiles tend to make reliable feeding harder to come by. They're also generally more expensive.

The heavier (36 - 40gr) ammo can be found loaded to different velocity levels. "Standard" velocity works fine in most guns. "High velocity" will sometimes work better in guns that have hiccups feeding standard stuff. There's also subsonic ammo available that's intended for suppressed guns.

Posts: 5005 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Report This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 6134 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I had a .22 conversion unit for my P220 before I sold the gun. I found that high-velocity ammo was much more reliable in it than standard, and also that it runs better with generous amounts of oil - NOT grease - on the slide rails and barrel hood. Dry, doesn't work so well.

Posts: 5005 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Report This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Advice duly noted.

NRA Life Member

4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
As with many New 22's I highly recommend CCI Mini Mags for the first 200 rounds.. they are available most places now. They are clean and seem to make almost every gun go bang every time. I Like both the 40 and 36 grain the 36 are hollow point. About $9 a 100.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 8724 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Report This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
500 rds of CCI 40gr on the way, 500 36gr hollow point on back order. Big Grin

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Love the CCI Stingers for my Beretta 21a. Just have to keep the chamber clean due to no extractor if at the range. If carrying the gun walking the dog at night not an issue up to 3-4 magazines will work flawlessly until the chamber starts getting cruddy.

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: January 08, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Most conversions I've seen need High Velocity ammo to function properly due to the increased slide weight and such over a dedicated .22 gun. For the bulk ammo, Federal seems to be the best, then winchestor, remington is garbage.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I bought some CCI Blazer high velocity 40 gr ammunition (0021) by mistake when shopping for CCI mini mags. Upon further inspection, the bullet weght was the same, the velocity was the same, and for the kids target practice I couldn't see a difference in performance. The price was much better though. YMMV

Posts: 2614 | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like Aguila Pistol Match. 40gr bullet, and on the low end of std vel @ 925fps. The bullets are clenched firmly in the cases, and the round is quite accurate. The breech stays very clean because of the low chamber pressure. It cycles perfectly in my Beretta 87 Target.

Cognition?
On.

Posts: 2191 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the Federal Premium® Champion™ AutoMatch .22 LR 40-Grain (1200fps) work fine in my p228 .22 conversion...and they are about $.06/rnd.

Posts: 46 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Report This Post