SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    12 Gauge short shells.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 Gauge short shells. Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Anybody use the 12 gauge short shells?

I'm curious, and after looking on youtube, I notice most people recommend an adaptor.

For an HD weapon, I'm not sure I'd like to rely on that.

Any thoughts on these shells?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/#minishell

I've never tried them in my 870, I too have read about functioning issues.

In the newer no-stock HD guns, I've read they work in the Mossberg but not the Remington. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I shot with a guy who brought a case of them. Wouldn't feed worth a damn in his pump gun. Not sure if was an 870, 500 or 590, or something else.

And by not feed, I mean 50% failure rate, or greater.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't want to use them in Winchester 1200 series pumps or 1400 series semis:

http://www.winchester.com/libr...-warning-notice.aspx

PRODUCT SAFETY NOTICE - WARNING
PRODUCT SAFETY NOTICE - WARNING
10/1/2014

WINCHESTER® Slide-Action Shotgun Models 1200, 1300, 120, and 2200; SEARS® Slide-Action Shotgun Models 200 and Ted Williams® 200; WINCHESTER Semi-Automatic Shotgun Models 1400, 1500, 140, and 2400; SEARS Semi-Automatic Shotgun Models 300 and Ted Williams 300

Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is warning users of the above shotguns to follow owner’s manual instructions to fully open the action before moving the safety to the “ON” position and to only use shotgun shells of 2-3/4 inch or 3 inch length.

Under certain conditions it may be possible to move the safety to the “ON” position while the shotgun’s action is partially open, placing the hammer under control of the safety and not the trigger. Operating the safety in this manner is improper and contrary to the instruction manual. It has come to our attention that short length shotgun shells, including those known as “minishells”, can be manually placed in the firearm’s chamber while the action is partially open. With the hammer controlled by the safety and with a shotgun shell in the chamber, closing the action and moving the safety to the “OFF” position may accidentally fire the shotgun without a trigger pull. Accidental firing may result in property damage, serious personal injury or death.

IN THE WINCHESTER AND SEARS SHOTGUNS NAMED ABOVE, PLEASE – 

FULLY OPEN THE ACTION BEFORE MOVING THE SAFETY TO THE “ON” POSITION,
ONLY USE SHOTGUN SHELLS OF 2-3/4 INCH OR 3 INCH LENGTH, and
DO NOT USE “MINISHELLS”.

This is not an ammunition or firearm recall. No other firearms are subject to this warning.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the mossberg Shockwave and have fired 250 of the minishells with the adapter without any hickups at all. Have shot the birdshot, buckshot and slugs, all have functioned flawlessly. Pretty expensive, but a hell of a lot of fun.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
I bought some when the first came out 15-18 years ago..

They would not feed in any of my five 870s, my 590 or my Ithaca pumps.

By not feed, I mean like nearly every shot jammed... probably lik3 75- 80$ jams.

They might be ok in doubles... otherwise useless.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1348 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I just bought the 590 Shockwave and in the few days I've owned it I've already had 5 people tell me to try the mini shells. I ordered the adapter and some slugs and buckshot today and hopefully will get to the range this weekend. I'll post my results.

From one article I read Mossberg was showing off the Shockwave with the adapter at Shot Show so they must like it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I got the OPSol adapter today and loaded up 8 mini shells. The shotgun cycled them all without any issue. I reloaded and ran them through several more times and never had any failures to feed. The adapter fits very snug into the shotgun and it's made of rubber so I don't think it will work itself loose but only actually shooting the gun will test that.

We will see if I make it to the range this weekend or not but I can't wait to try these out.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post