SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Favorite .380 defensive ammo?

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite .380 defensive ammo? Login/Join 
posted
I was thinking I saw a thread on here about the Fiochi FMJ I think being the favored. Some family members just bought an LCP and a Taurus in 380 so I'd like to get them some good ammo.

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 6363 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
Picture of KMitch200
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady Custom 90gr XTPs exclusively in the LCP and G42.

A huge portion of that decision was due to:
1. The XTPs are VERY accurate in just about any gun I've ever shot them out of. A little better than some and a LOT better than others.
2. They may not open up as much as some HPs but always seem to open up some. Because they don't open up as much as others, (that failed), they give good penetration.
3. The XTPs gave VERY consistent results in Ammo Quest gel tests shooting them out of stock short barreled guns.
4. I couldn't find the Precison Ammunition load of the XTP at my local gun store which was the winner in the video tests linked below.

Video of Final results of Ammo Quest tests

Check out the vid above & read the stats. There are others on youtube as well. YMMV.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 1976 | Location: AZ - West side of the valley | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XTPs in my LCP also. Here's something I first posted five or six years ago.

A very UNscientific test of 380 XTP

Penetration: 12+" inches of water
Expansion: About 6/16"
Sample size: One round

Last week I set up three water-filled 6” milk jugs and fired one round thru my LCP from about 4 feet. It went through three jugs, settling in the third. I could not determine how far it went into the third jug, so I called it 12" of penetration.

What did this prove? Well, not a lot. But 150+ XTPs have flawlessly
chambered and fired thru my LCP, and the one I tested expanded as designed.

Posts: 11833 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Gold Dots get 11+ inches, are hot, and reliable. My favorite load. Hornady XTP is close second. They penetrate about 12 inches, but they run about 50-75 fps slower than Gold Dots. The extra velocity of the Gold Dots is a good thing to have, as it ensures reliable function of the gun.

Posts: 3477 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Based on a thread somewhere here on SF, on http://shootingthebull.net/blo...-380-acp-ammo-quest/, and upon the reasoned recommendation of an LGS clerk, I went with Fiocchi Extrema XTP 90-grain XTP JHP and Hornady 90 gr. FTX Critical Defense for my LCP-CT.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10551 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the biggest issue concerning the .380 ACP round is PENETRATION. I own two pistols in this caliber; a Seecamp LWS380 and a Ruger LCP. The Seecamp is limited by its design to the type of ammunition it functions best with and the manufacturer recommends only two brands: Winchester Silvertips and Federal Hydrashoks. I've shot both and though I carry the Federals, the Winchester ammo works fine too.

The Ruger LCP functions fine with everything I've loaded in it and because I'm not limited by its design, I carry Lehigh 90 grain "Xtreme" solid copper bullets. The penetration they provide is equivalent to good 9mm Parabellum rounds and the bullet design performs in ballistic gel just like a good JHP. Best of both worlds in a pocket pistol!

http://www.lehighdefense.com/p...n?variant=1066236304

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 8164 | Location: So CA | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Underwood penetrator. Great reviews. In a YouTube video performed similar to 9mm in ballistics gel.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/...n-xtreme-penetrator/

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
In my experience, the biggest issue concerning the .380 ACP round is PENETRATION. I own two pistols in this caliber; a Seecamp LWS380 and a Ruger LCP. The Seecamp is limited by its design to the type of ammunition it functions best with and the manufacturer recommends only two brands: Winchester Silvertips and Federal Hydrashoks. I've shot both and though I carry the Federals, the Winchester ammo works fine too.

The Ruger LCP functions fine with everything I've loaded in it and because I'm not limited by its design, I carry Lehigh 90 grain "Xtreme" solid copper bullets. The penetration they provide is equivalent to good 9mm Parabellum rounds and the bullet design performs in ballistic gel just like a good JHP. Best of both worlds in a pocket pistol!

http://www.lehighdefense.com/p...n?variant=1066236304

Same bullet as underwood I had above. Really good bullet.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run the buffalo bore hard cast in my LCP

it's 100gr. SWC +P ammo 1125fps 281 ft lbs. per the box

I have not checked the speed but it IS stout.

I did make a spring change to a slightly heavier one and also changed the guide rod as I was seeing some galling/wear I did not like. I shot it enough to feel confident in the round.

My thoughts were that it's cheap to change the parts and punches up the 380a bit.

I also made a change to the mag floor and added a round.

It's a small round for sure, but this is better and that makes me feel better carrying it.

Posts: 183 | Location: CT. | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Underwood penetrator. Great reviews. In a YouTube video performed similar to 9mm in ballistics gel.

I agree with above. Cycles fine in my LCP. Nice company to deal with.

Posts: 268 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
While not a top tier favored round, when I had several .380acp pistols, I used REMINGTON Golden Saber mainly due to it being 108 grain.

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7466 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-Bohn:
I run the buffalo bore hard cast in my LCP

it's 100gr. SWC +P ammo 1125fps 281 ft lbs. per the box

It's a small round for sure, but this is better and that makes me feel better carrying it.

T-Bohn you've done well.

I had a P238 that functioned reliably with Hornady XTP 90gr and Buffalo Bore HC 100gr. Even mixed in the same mag.

That was my aim - run the 6rd flush mag with the first 3 rounds of Buffalo HC 100gr, remaining 3 are XTP. Backup 7rd mag was all XTP.

While I never did try the Underwood, I agree with the opinions here for your LCP.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

Posts: 827 | Location: Kirkland, WA | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I'll get disagreement here, but I recommend FMJ ammunition in .380 ACP because penetration is not its strong suit.

Yes, I am aware of new bullet technology. It's just not cost effective for most applications when you could carry a 9mm, have better choices in ammunition, and all the requisite penetration that comes with the caliber.

Posts: 1826 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post