SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Federal HST .357 SIG - 100% Failure to Extract
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal HST .357 SIG - 100% Failure to Extract Login/Join 
posted
After reading some impressive FBI protocol testing results for the Federal HST in .357 SIG, I decided to try some.

It is the hottest ammo I have tested; all rounds chronographed over 1,400 fps from my full size P320. It also grouped very tightly.

But every one of the 15 rounds I shot failed to extract. Every case was pulled back about 1/8" and could be removed with a little pressure from my pocket knife.

The same gun shot a mix of Speer Gold Dot and reloads without issue afterward.

I cannot see any visible difference between the HST and Gold Dot cases. I also eased the slide forward on several of the rounds, watching to make sure the extractor was engaged in the groove.

Has anyone seen anything like this, with this ammo or any other?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rich, I recall that you reload your own .357, have you loaded any which are over 1400 ft/sec., for comparison?

Have you checked the HST cartridges with a case gauge? I use a Sheridan cut-away gauge for my .300 Blk reloads,and it allows me to see where tight fits may exist. I feel it makes a difference on necked cartridges.

And, have you ever changed the recoil spring on your P320?

Just a few thoughts. I don't shoot .357 Sig, so don't have further insight.

By the way, trying to clear my schedule in July for the Advanced Fundamentals session. Hope to see you there.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'll be shooting an older batch box of factory HST .357sig within the next week or two through an HK P2000sk. I'll let you know if I have any issues. I haven't in the past but never know.

I've chambered several of the rounds in the box repeatedly so I want to shoot it up in case of "set back".

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my second P320 back from SIG and took it to the range today. It did not have any issues firing the HST. I'm now thinking it is something with the extractor in my first gun.

I'm going to open a topic in the SIG Armorer section to troubleshoot the extractor issue.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I do not have a .357 SIG, or a 320; however, yesterday I shot HST 147 gr. 9mm +p through a Sig 228 and 2022, 180 gr. HST through a 229/.40 and 230 gr. HST +p through a 1911, and all extracted perfectly. All were stunningly accurate as well.

So far, I love this stuff.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Is your chamber clean and shiny? Maybe their brass is not contracting at the same rate or to the same extent as the other brands.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I shot 50 rds of an older batch of HST yesterday through my P2000sk with 100% success. Those followed 150 rds of "dirty" WINCHESTER White Box which were also 100% success.

Before the range I did re-clean and lube the pistol to eliminate any potential lube/lack of cleaning issues.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weak extractor spring? Damaged or out of spec extractor claw? Out of spec ( Too tight.) chamber? Out of spec cartridge case? Too high pressure being generated by cartridges? Inordinately tight crimp causing momentary high pressure? Dried grease, oil, or carbon fouling in the chamber? It's a puzzler. Did you try a different lot of the cartridge?

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently this was caused by the same extractor issue in early model P320s that caused the issue with Winchester white box in 9mm. The new model extractor, spring and pin fixed the issue.

- Benjamin Franklin

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the extractor is marginal.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post