SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What is .17 ammo for?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is .17 ammo for? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
FIL died last year and I found a box of .17 HMR mixed in with his .22 ammo.

I'm assuming I cannot use this with my .22's?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
No different than putting 9mm in your 45 Razz

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm assuming I cannot use this with my .22's?

You should never use the wrong ammunition in any firearm. If it would even chamber, I would expect the case to blow out or split at the neck* and the .050-inch smaller bullet to not even hit the target past a few yards. Throw it out, sell it, "karma" it on the forum … or buy a new rifle chambered for it. Razz

*I was thinking of the .17 HM2 (Hornady Mach 2), not the HMR.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is .17 HMR ammunition for?

For shooting in a rifle chambered for .17 HMR.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
.22 sabot cores

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ronin, did Bendable hack your account? Razz Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Wink

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

...sigh...

Nooo.

I've just never heard of .17 before.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

...sigh...

Nooo.

It's a boutique round that came out maybe 15 years ago. It shoots flatter over distances and a lot faster velocity than .22 LR, it's intended purpose was for small game hunting....like rabbit size stuff.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

...sigh...

Nooo.

Just messing with you.

To me, it's a great rimfire round - fast and flat, with devastating effects on small game (and larger, if you have the proper shot placement).

Another benefit is the small projectile typically comes apart on impact, so the risk of ricochet very very low.

It's a lot of fun to shoot, even on the range.

Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
It's a rimfire round with near centerfire velocity and energy to about 100 yards. Most technically it's a. 22 magnum necked down to. 17 caliber. They are very accurate and cheap compared to . 223 and the like.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the Hornady Magnum Rimfire (HMR) simply a higher velocity .17? I found this, but the only rimfire I know is 22LR.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rimfire#!/

I'm like the OP, I've heard about the caliber but knew close to noting about it.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I guess the follow up question I have is, am I okay to shoot it out of my Ruger 10/22?

If they make rifles specifically for .17 then I’ve just never heard of or seen one before.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess the follow up question I have is, am I okay to shoot it out of my Ruger 10/22?

If they make rifles specifically for .17 then I’ve just never heard of or seen one before.
No, it won't chamber. Take a look at this rimfire comparison picture. http://www.varminter.com/forum...picture-17-thru-5mm/

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“I guess the follow up question I have is, am I okay to shoot it out of my Ruger 10/22?

If they make rifles specifically for .17 then I’ve just never heard of or seen one before.”

Try a quick internet search for “.17 HMR rifles”

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm convince Bendable hacked your account. Seriously.

It would be like shooting 223 out of your 300BLK.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm convince Bendable hacked your account. Seriously.

It would be like shooting 223 out of your 300BLK.

Actually, it would be worse. The .17HMR is made from a 22 magnum, necked down. It shouldn't chamber, but it might. If it chambers, then fires, who knows what the results might be.

Ronin's question is one that is generally stated along with "hold my beer, watch this, have a camera rolling for Uboob's Darwin Awards channel"

Ronin1069 -- have you even put a 17HMR round next to a 22lr round? This simple procedure should have produced the desired answer in a fraction of a second.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is just evidence that SF is actually only 5 people, and the one playing Bendable and Ronin1069 forgot to log out ??? Wink

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe this is just evidence that SF is actually only 5 people, and the one playing Bendable and Ronin1069 forgot to log out ???

LOL

I appreciate everyone's patience. Sometimes Google is not enough and I want someone to simply say, "Look man...."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
quote:

No, you need a rifle chambered for .17. All of the .17 rifles I've seen have all been bolt action. I'm not sure if anyone makes a semi-auto for the cartridge. CZ makes a few bolt action rifles chambered in .17 and there are other manufacturers that do.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post