SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What is .17 ammo for?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is .17 ammo for? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The Savage A17 in .17HMR is semi-auto.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Ronin, did Bendable hack your account? Razz Wink

Wink

I inherited a bunch of ammo for guns that were long gone when my father in law died. There was .222 Remington, 30-30, .22 rimfire ammo of all lengths, and most interestingly, 250 Savage. I assume there was a Model 99 in the gun cabinet at lone time, but I had known him for 25 or 30 years by then, and had never seen one. And there was no ammo for the rifles that were still around. (Which were Weatherbys in various expensive Weatherby calibers. He liked nice rifles, but had bought them before Weatherby got big.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Browning makes a T Bolt in 17HMR.

My friend of over 50 years and I went to the range about three years ago. At the time I was into handgunning only. He brought his Browning along, kept goading me "Try it." After a few times of this I tried it just to shut him up.

Damn if I didn't have a tighter group at 100 yards than he did with his own rifle. I got hooked.

The next week I started looking into the Savage and the Browning, ended up with the latter. Only difference is that I have a Nikon scope on mine, my first scoped rifle.

Last range day we had was July 4th. He had some CCI A17 ammunition and complained that he could not get the same grouping that he did with the 20gr. rounds. So I grabbed ten and loaded my magazine, results were 9 in a 1" group with one flyer out about a half inch.

I then told him "maybe it's the trigger puller!"

All in fun........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of the .17 rifles I've seen have all been bolt action.

I have a Henry lever action . Been a long time since I've seen it, let alone shot it. With the scope dialed in it was a lot of fun .

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
.17 HMR is a very fun ground hog round. I let a kid shoot my 1/4 steel rimfire target until I saw he was almost shooting through them.
Savage makes a great bolt gun for not much money, that is just lots of fun to shoot. This round is accurate to over 100 yrds.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.17 is usually pellets for air pistols and
rifles.
About the same size as a BB.

Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Ronin,
My experience with .17HMR is limited, but as follows:
Way faster than any .22, as accurate or way better out to 100 yards or so, still no need for hearing protection (when using a rifle), and more explosive on pests.

One more thing, I found ammo for it anytime I wanted when .22 anything was extinct.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
H E Y !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54607 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post