SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    SIG 365 or FEDERAL MICRO AMMO
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 365 or FEDERAL MICRO AMMO Login/Join 
posted
Sig has their new 365 ammo which is 115 grain V-Crown and Federal has their 150 grain HTS Micro. One company went down in weight and one went up to try to make a defensive round more suitable for the short barrel pistols. I had historically used the Federal 147 grain Hydra Shoks in my Glocks and want to make the best choice I can for my Sig P365. Any thoughts about ammo made specifically for the short barrel pistols. And does anyone out there use Corbon DPX as their defensive ammo? I know it's expensive, but everyone who has tested this ammo on YouTube says it's the bomb.

Posts: 5 | Location: CENTRAL MARYLAND | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Regular ol' non-+P HSTs test rather well in short barrels.
Look at some tests done by ShootingTheBull410 on youtube.

I haven't seen any test of Sig ammo that made me want to go out and buy some.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speer has gold dot short barrel.

The published numbers for the Sig 365 ammunition (it's not the same as the v-crown) are anemic.

I shoot Gold dot +P out of the small pistols (P365, G43, etc); no problem.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
There are rounds that are suitable. These are made to reduce recoil in micros. I would use HST standard pressure. If recoil is an issue, I would go with critical defense.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
HSTs or Speer Gold Dots for 9MM.

SIG Ammo is the new kid on the block, so I’d stick with long established ammunition manufacturers with street cred that is beyond reproach.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I seen several boxes of it at my local range on Sunday. They said they don't sell much of it as they also stock HST.

147 grain standard pressure seems to work perfect out of my P365. I've got right at 100 rounds with zero issues.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I carry 124 grain +p Speer gold dot and my 365 handles it well.

Sure you’ve all seen this but wanted to make sure: Lucky Gunner Ballistic Tests

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal LE HST 124 grain std pressure in my P365. As a bonus, it is available online in 50 round boxes at $19-21.00 per box of 50

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I switched from Gold Dot 124 +P to Hornandy Critical Duty 135 +P for my carry guns (P320 Carry, P938, P30SK) and my nightstand P226. It is what I plan to use in my new P365’s as well.

I am able to get it pretty cheap ($24/50 rnd box), gets good reviews for consistency and penetration even with the shorter barrels (gives up some expansion however) and have never had a malfunction with it in any of my guns.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
I'm still happy with Federal's 9BPLE 115gr JHP load which is a +P load that has a long record of success in real life.

If you prefer a standard pressure load the Federal 9BP also has an excellent record.

I've used both in my short barrel guns, including my new SIG P365 and both have worked flawlessly in my guns anyway.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Regular ol' non-+P HSTs test rather well in short barrels.
Look at some tests done by ShootingTheBull410 on youtube.

Agreed. My Beretta PX4 Compact has a 3.27" barrel and I keep it loaded with standard pressure 147gr HST. It's reliable and shoots well in my gun, plus it has a pretty well-established track record. And I can get it in 50-round boxes. Most of the short-barrel loads I've seen go for the same price but in 20-round boxes, so you're effectively paying twice as much.

Just my opinion, but other than the .38 Special Speer SB-GDHP you're probably not going to get a significant real world performance advantage by switching to a short-barrel load.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't seen any test of Sig ammo that made me want to go out and buy some.

Chronoed it out of a 365 and it's MV was 1080.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the Winchester 9mm, 147 gr. Ranger T (RA9T) ammo. Winchester has slightly thinned the jacket, increased the diameter of the nose cavity and increased the depth of the "slits" that form the "petals".

This standard velocity ammo will reliably expand when used with barrels of 4" or less. In the 50 rd. LE boxes RA9T is less than half the cost of 150gr. Federal Micro.

According to Winchester the use of +P ammo in short barrels does not increase velocity. This is because there is not enough dwell time in short barrels to burn all the powder before the projectile exits the barrel.

Let me repeat that -- you are wasting your time if you believe +P ammo increases velocity when used in short barrels!!

Amended to add; unfortunately Winchester does not state the lowest velocity at which 9mm RA9T consistently expands.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
read and enjoy

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...mmo-ballistic-tests/

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com...ol-ammo-9mm#gel-test

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
HST’s

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I use 147gr standard pressure HST as well. I see no need for +p in a pistol that small.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure it's the "right" or best answer, but I use 124 +P Gold Dots in all 9mm handguns regardless of size. I've never had one that wouldn't feed them perfectly. Not having to inventory several types of ammo keeps it simple and I know it works in everything I own.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:

147 grain standard pressure seems to work perfect out of my P365. I've got right at 100 rounds with zero issues.

That is my experience as well.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
Federal LE HST 124 grain std pressure in my P365. As a bonus, it is available online in 50 round boxes at $19-21.00 per box of 50

^^ This

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:

Where?

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post