SIGforum
What ammo does not run well in your P238?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/4940048924

September 03, 2017, 09:31 AM
modbuilder
What ammo does not run well in your P238?
Don't want a "which ammo has best ballistics" debate or "I carry this...". Would like very much to know if you've found some ammo that does not run well in your P238.

I'm new to the .380 Sig and would like to know how "picky" it is on ammo selection, both range and defense ammo. Curious to see if there's much consistency to the reports. Maybe it just eats everything ?

Thanks for your help...... Bob R.
September 03, 2017, 09:56 AM
Johnny 3eagles
I have been shooting my P238 for about 7 years. I have been either extremely lucky or my 238 likes everything I have used. I have tried from the cheapest to the most expensive ammo (nothing in steel cased), and they have all worked. YMMV.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
September 03, 2017, 06:18 PM
greybeard9
I've had mine for less than two months and have put a little over 500 rounds through it with no problems at all.

I have used Independence, Lawman, Blazer Brass, Hornady XTP, and Federal HST.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow
September 03, 2017, 06:35 PM
modbuilder
Awesome! Thanks for the data feed.

Any failures during initial breakin?
September 03, 2017, 06:41 PM
greybeard9
quote:
Originally posted by modbuilder:
Awesome! Thanks for the data feed.

Any failures during initial breakin?

Not one, it ran flawlessly.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow
September 12, 2017, 07:42 PM
lmacrichter
I have had mine 3+ years and have what ever I can get at the time(except steel case) and it eats everything I feed it, hard ball and hollow point. I think they would shoot rocks if you found a way to load them.
September 14, 2017, 04:10 PM
bdesavage
My Wife's 238 is 9 months old and approx 1500 rounds thru it. It eats anything and everything in brass, reloads, fmj, and defense loads mixed in magazine without a hiccup.
For what it's worth My 938 is the same. Neither likes aluminum, or steel!
September 17, 2017, 05:51 AM
modbuilder
Finally figured out that the variety of failures I've had have all been related to the magazine trying to release. Pretty sure I'm getting my thumb on the release button while firing causing the mag to drop down about 1/8 inch.

An internet search revealed a lengthy 3-year thread on this issue on another forum, and I now have a couple of heavier mag release springs on order as well as a release catch that I'll ground down to not project as tall
from the frame.

Am now sure that what I was observing was not ammo related at all. Have also started another thread on this forum about mag release issues and am getting good comments. So... You folks have made me feel very confident about ammo selection not being critical with this terrific little .380 . Thanks All........ R
October 30, 2017, 09:45 PM
bald1
Herters was crap. Wouldn't even chamber fully.

Everything else since I bought my P238 in 2010 has run just fine. Smile Currently preferring 95/100 FMJ-FN and 90 XTP loadings.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
November 08, 2017, 09:46 AM
Blaque Jacque Shellaque
Second the Herters. Did not feed well.
November 20, 2017, 09:11 AM
RKG
I don't have an accurate round count (probably 500-600 rounds), but my P238 is fed only handloads. Rem. or Hornady 95 gr. FMJ-RNs, Win. 95 gr. FMJ-FPs, and Horndary 95 gr. XTPs. Narry a bobble.
November 22, 2017, 06:10 PM
geshields
I had a few FTE's with my P238. But then sent it back to SIG for the new magazine release spring. Now absolutely no issues. They did the repair free of charge. I also had a tendency to release the mag during fire...the beefier spring takes care of that.