SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Remington Golden Saber Problem I think

Moderators: LDD, parabellum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Remington Golden Saber Problem I think Login/Join 
Call Me Wally
Picture of Bovineguy
posted
Yesterday I shot the ammo from my carry gun, P229 .357 Sig. When I got home I refilled the magazine and pulled a couple rounds from another magazine to top it off. Below the first three rounds in the second magazine I found one of the two in these pictures and the other one was down a little further.

These are .357 Sig., Remington 125 Gr Golden Saber Personal Defense rounds.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this bulge? I have since checked every .357 Sig round I have and haven't found any others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ʎnƃǝuıʌoq

"I take my personal safety personally." - Me

Wanna look at my pictures?

Resistance is not futile. It's voltage divided by current.

Blood goes round and round. Air goes in and out. Any deviation thereof is bad.

Posts: 10725 | Location: Clovis, NM, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA | Registered: August 27, 2005Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I found two cartridges like the one on the left in a box of Winchester SXT ammunition. I’ve never been able to decide if it was caused during the bullet seating process (which seems unlikely) or later (just as unlikely).

The rounds are part of my box of inspect every round before relying on them for carry demonstration cartridges.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36653 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've had similar deformed/out of spec CORBON and MAGTECH ammunition in the past. In both cases I contacted the manufacturer who requested I return the batch to them. If there's humans involved, quality control issues will always be part of life and manufacturers don't want the bad rep. They returned fresh ammunition and a little extra for my trouble. I'd suggest you send those images to the manufacturer or vendor that you purchased it from.

I would support President Trump selecting Barack as the next ambassador to Afghanistan...and Hillary to Syria.

Posts: 7614 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Abbagoochi
posted Hide Post
I would say it happened during the bullet seating process and was missed during final inspection. "QUALITY CONTROL". I have had the same thing happen during the same step while reloading not only the .357 Sig but, also other bottle neck cases.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Ben Franklin

Posts: 164 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2011Report This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Don't touch them.

They're pregnant.

You could have ammunition free for live if you play this right...

Posts: 1911 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Report This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
this subject comes up from time to time And I always reply with this; before you shoot any factory hand gun ammo you should inspect it. I can not count the number of times I have found bullets either seated too deep in the case or are actually loose in the case. The Golden Saber is one that I have found the most to have COL problems. I remember one box of golden Sabers that had 8 rounds seated deep and was lose in the case. Since then I always take a calliper and and measure each one. You need to find the average first. A cartridge with a short COL can be a very dangerous thing if you get one chambered and shoot it. Chamber pressure could reach explosively high.

Posts: 1557 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Report This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember one box of golden Sabers that had 8 rounds seated deep and was lose in the case. Since then I always take a calliper and and measure each one

I wouldn't continue to trust my life to a SD round where there is such bad QA. I would have switched manufacturers long ago. Obviously its your choice to decide how many poorly manufactured rounds you need to find before you question the "good" rounds remaining. 25% (I believe they come 20/box) failure rate is too high for me.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is.

Posts: 7838 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Send a picture of those rounds to Remington. Be sure to include the lot number, which is found on the box the ammo comes in. They'll want to know.

A few years back, I found 2 out of 25 rounds of Golden Sabers in 9mm that were seated improperly, and Remington sent me a check as reimbursement to cover the cost of 2 new boxes of ammo. That was a nice way to right the situation.