SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Blown primers, stuck case Aguila 300 BO.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blown primers, stuck case Aguila 300 BO. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
So I had a little time at the range today and shot a 300 BO pistol I picked up. Ran great with
110 v max, Federal AE 150gr FMJ, and Remington 120 gr OT.

I picked up some Aguila 150 FMJ and it ran pretty bad. Very gassy, and popped a primer and got a case stuck within 20 rounds. No Mas.

Recoil did not seem heavier so I don’t know what it was. I had to take the gun apart on the stuck case bolt would not budge closed.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I shot some of their 300blk and in 50 rounds i had 12 that wouldnt work, even trying them several times, and 8 that worked on a second strike. I figured hard primers, but then looking at some of the other cases, some primers seemed to have holes where the firing pin hit them - im guessing thats a “blown primer”. And i had no issues with the other brand i tried that day (UMC i think?). I emailed Aguila about it and they responded and wanted pics and info, which i promptly sent. They then ignored anything else i sent as far as requests for follow up info. Ill never buy their ammo again.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I don’t know what is meant by the terms as used above, I interpret a “blown” primer as one that was blown out of the primer pocket and (usually) ended up in the gun’s action. Blown primers are usually due to excessive chamber pressures.
When a hole is made through the primer metal, I call that a “pierced” primer.
Neither is something we want to happen. A blown primer can cause a stoppage by falling into places that prevent trigger and/or hammer movement. Pierced primers don’t usually cause immediate problems, but the gas escaping back through the hole can erode the tip of the firing pin and/or damage the breech face.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sometimes different loads just do not work in some cases on some guns.
Better to know in advance.
Sometimes you can make adjustments and sometimes you just have to use something else.
A lot of "hunting" loads from different manufacturers do the same thing in my MA TEN (308) AR builds.
I just use those in my bolt guns which can tolerate a lot more stress.
Fine tuned hand loads and tested factory ammo is what I use in the gasser 308's.
Never had much problem with AR 15 builds just the 308.
YMMV

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
It was blown primers. One ended up between the breech face and the next round.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
It was blown primers. One ended up between the breech face and the next round.

I have experienced more blown primers with my 300 blk than all other guns combined. For my Wilson Combat upper, the ammo was Sig 125 HPBT and Fiocchi 125 SST. Both rounds were accurate for me, but the stoppages made them a no go.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post