SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Wolf Polymer 7.62x39mm Rust

Moderators: LDD, parabellum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Wolf Polymer 7.62x39mm Rust Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
I had purchased 1000 rounds each of 124gr HP Military Classic and 122gr FMJ polymer in sealed plastic sleeves of 500 quite a few years ago to store away for use with my Yugo SKS and now my AK as well. Well, I opened the sleeves recently to start using some and store the rest in ammo cans to use as I go and the first surprise was that the Military Classic was also polymer coated with sealed bullets and primers although it had been pictured and described as lacquered and sealed. The next one was that box after box of both different types that I opened had cases with rust that ranged from minor tiny specs here and there or a very light haze of barely detectable surface rust to cases that had a moderate to even some heavier areas/coverage of rust specks and small patches you could actually feel. I did not feel or see any really heavy pitting but you could feel the rust with your finger tip. The cases did not seemed compromised or weakened but still really disappointed with these Wolf rounds. Considering these were stored in the original sealed packaging in an air conditioned environment I can only assume that these cartridges were exposed to humidity while still at the manufacturer and possibly received little if any of the polymer coating that was supposed to protect them before being packaged and shipped.

Fortunately this is the only caliber I have ever purchased with steel cases and alleged polymer coating and they will certainly be my last. The good news is that with rust and all they still shoot surprising well and cycle reliably so far. I'm only loading them is some of my polymer PMAGs that I can easily clean as I don't want them scraping along the inside of my steel mags in the AK, but I will probably keep them out of the stripper clips and magazine of the SKS completely, especially since the bore and chamber is not chrome plated on it like the AK is. They will definitely be used up quickly though as I do not trust them not to deteriorate further, even in a sealed ammo can. Good thing I bought these when they were quite cheap.

I was able to buy some Golden Tiger 124gr FMJBT from sgammo recently and checked to verify they are lacquered and sealed which they are so those will be for longer term storage and use on occasion to compare with the others.

-Dtech

"Greatness is maximizing your potential for the glory of God and the good of others." - Tony Evans

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3657 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Lacquered steel cases are definitely the way to go for long term storage.

Golden Tiger is my x39 ammo of choice anyway. It seems to be cleaner and more accurate than most of the other Russian commercial x39 ammo.

Posts: 19190 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Agree wholeheartedly about the lacquered ammo for long term storage which is what I thought I had half of with the Military Classic. It makes you wonder if some of the spam can offerings of steel cased ammo out there aren't holding some surprises for buyers when they finally crack them open too, at least if they aren't lacquered or something like the zinc plated Silver Bear.

I made sure to buy enough Golden Tiger to try out first and to also have some loose boxes to shoot in the near future before ordering a case for longer term storage. I only tried a couple of boxes of it last time out and it definitely showed some promise so much happier with it than the Wolf for obvious reasons. The Wolf would be fine if you know you're going to shoot it within a short time of buying it and/or making sure you don't get a batch that is rusting, but still definitely not for long term storage or exposure to moisture / adverse weather after my experience.

-Dtech

"Greatness is maximizing your potential for the glory of God and the good of others." - Tony Evans

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3657 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Recently used some 70's vintage Chinese copper washed steel case milsurp 7.62x39 and it was still in great shape. So when some new production Norinco of the same type went on sale recently picked up a bunch of it.

Posts: 679 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newf:
Recently used some 70's vintage Chinese copper washed steel case milsurp 7.62x39 and it was still in great shape. So when some new production Norinco of the same type went on sale recently picked up a bunch of it.

Not as old as yours, but I have one 20 round box of copper washed Norinco .308 I bought in the mid 90's and it is still in great condition too!

-Dtech