SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Federal 9MM AE Syntech 150 gr AE9SJAP1 thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 9MM AE Syntech 150 gr AE9SJAP1 thoughts Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Has anyone used the Federal 9MM AE Syntech 150 gr AE9SJAP1 and if so thoughts about it? Looks like a real powder puff load and was thinking of getting some for wife to try out 9MM pistols. Velocity Rated at 870 FPS and Energy Rated at 252 Foot Pounds.

https://www.federalpremium.com...actions-at-the-range

If you have tried it was it reliable in the pistols you tried it in?

Thanks for any feedback!

Posts: 9736 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Tthe 150gr 9MM functioned well in my long-serving CZ TS, but didn't knock over bowling pins very well. Of course.

.45ACP version did not function well in a new, stiff pistol. May try them again after its had 500 or more full loads through it. It worked well and accurately in a well broken in GT-45.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Good to hear and thanks for the feedback!

Posts: 9736 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Lead-free primers tend to have a reduced shelf-life.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I tried some out at a steel shoot recently. Fed, functioned, extracted, hit close enough to point of aim from a gun sighted in for 115 grain bulk that I couldn't tell the difference. Seemed to get more fragments coming back than fmj.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Lead-free primers tend to have a reduced shelf-life.

I've heard that, but haven't had a problem with it. I go through quite a bit of NT ammo, but some of it in less used calibers is 10 years old. Never had a failure.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I tried some of these the other day at the range. They do shoot soft.
Accuracy wasn't as good as the Hornady HAP bullet loaded in the Steel Match loads for *me* that day.
More testing is in order to see if it was just me on that day. Would probably have been fine for ringing steel but I was practicing for a GSSF Indoor which stresses accuracy as all GSSF matches do.

The Hornady loads did have a more visible muzzle flash though that looked like fireworks with orange streaks out in a 360* pattern. One RSO was so surprised to see it, he filmed me shooting to show me what it looked like.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of 500 for testing. I shoot my own 147gr in IDPA at a 125 power factor and these Federals were a very close match. They are indeed soft shooting.

Posts: 473 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post