SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What to do with the used brass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with the used brass Login/Join 
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted
I am getting in to shooting after 40 years of not firing a handgun. I wanted to know what everyone does with their brass after shooting at a range. The military had us collect our brass but not sure what to do personally. Thanks in advance guys.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You can take up reloading. You could sell your brass. You could take it to a scrap yard.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I usually save mine and give it to buddies who reload.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Leave them along with some broken arrows and rock with a Knight's Templar Cross carved in it for future archeologists to discover.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Trapper thanks for the laugh. I will look in to folks that reload. At the moment, I have no desire to learn the reloading trade but at some point I might. That seems a bit daunting to me even though I have very good mechanical skills and knowledge. So I am on one side of the fence so we will see. Thanks as always guys.

But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I reload so I try to get all my brass, if I didn't I would try to be like Rogue and give it to friends.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
On my club's indoor ranges, everyone who doesn't collect their own brass deposits it into a brass bucket, and then those of us who do reload can just come and easily collect (although it's generally not sorted).

On our outdoor ranges, it's a lot harder. It's large gravel, so even gathering your own brass is time consuming and painful without kneepads. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Over the years here I have karme d thousands of rounds of assorted pistol brass and I have had thousands of rounds of rifle karmared to me.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I usually save mine and give it to buddies who reload.

Same here. I don't have the patience, skill, or interest in reloading.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Some of it I reload (.45ACP, .45LC, .38spl/.357Mag, rifle match ammo in .223 and 6.5CM), the rest (9mm, 5.56 and .308 blasting ammo) I throw in a 5 gallon bucket and either recycle it or give it to a friend whose teenager will recycle it for spending money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Reloading isn’t difficult, just have to pay attention. Other than that, either sell it, give to friends who reload, Im sure they would appreciate that. We reload for most of what we shoot, so we keep it all.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
The two outdoor ranges I shoot at will have their youth team pick up the brass and either reload it or sell it to someone who reloads.

This helps save them money on the cost to compete and make some money to help pay for travel to competition.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

On our outdoor ranges, it's . . . large gravel, so even gathering your own brass is time consuming and painful without kneepads. Roll Eyes
Yeah, the club where I shoot has recently re-floored the pistol areas with gravel, making it difficult to retrieve brass.

Martin-who-works-with-me, has started to use something like this (only with better tips at the grabbing end):

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't remember what I got for it, being 20 years ago, but I collected a couple of five-gallon buckets of brass and sold it to a scrapyard at the "contaminated brass" (the contamination being the spent primers, the occasional nickel-plated case and other "impurities") price. Commercial reloaders at gun shows might be interested in it.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Um.... How can you afford to shoot if you don't reload? I can't imagine buying factory new ammo and shooting it up. That stuff costs big bucks. Even components get expensive. If you go to gun shows and buy in bulk, you can do pretty well. Says a guy with enough ammo to probably start the next civil war. Most of us only buy new ammo when a screaming deal presents itself.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with rburg
I do reload and as a not very mechanically inclined person can say it is very easy and safe to do, and could not afford to shoot as much as I do without reloading, especially rifle calibers, revolver cartridges and 45 auto. I can reload about 150 45’s for the cost of one box of factory, and in rifles the cost of a reload is less than 1/2 that of a factory load.
I use my brass until it becomes damaged such as splits or deep dents not “ironed out” by resizing, getting many loads out of a case.
Once they do split or dent, or are in a caliber I don’t use,I will give them to friends that do reload those calibers. Once I have a large bucket full of scrap brass, a trip to the junkyard will usually yield enough cash for a box of bullets package of primers or couple pounds of powder

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
So reloading it is. I will have to rely on the experts as always as i have no clue on this. Some things i am good at but no this at the moment. Yah even range ammo is .40 cents a round now if you can find it. I will start me research early next week and now that I am back to work after 3 months, I will have to get caught up first. Thanks guys so much for all of the help!

― Marcus Aurelius