SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Feeling like the last 40 S&W hold out
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeling like the last 40 S&W hold out Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
These discussions are great. I have learned so much.

Thanks to everyone and may the new year be the best yet.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 35806 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great discussion, and lots of perspectives that I hadn't considered. I "thought" that I was getting pretty fast and good on the range, but didn't really consider that I could be faster and better. JJones, those real world scenarios are something I hadn't really thought about, not being in law enforcement ( but now will as an armed civilian!!).

Sigfreund-- thank you for the welcome. My handle was "given to me" from my staff. I aman Emergency physician, and quite a while ago we had a young lady come in pretty beat up and left for dead in a ditch. The cold water dropped her core body temperature pretty low, which wound up saving her. Essentially she went into cardiac arrest, and we resuscitated her for hours, with all kinds of invasive warming techniques. We "got her back," and despite no heartbeat for hours, eventually left the hospital whole. She became know as "the ditch lady" and I was anointed "the ditch doctor."

Posts: 26 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Great story, DitchDoctor911, and it’s good to learn that such things are achievable.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 35806 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably more common in Colorado, but pretty rare here in Florida!!

Posts: 26 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DitchDoctor911:
Great discussion, and lots of perspectives that I hadn't considered. I "thought" that I was getting pretty fast and good on the range, but didn't really consider that I could be faster and better. JJones, those real world scenarios are something I hadn't really thought about, not being in law enforcement ( but now will as an armed civilian!!).

Sigfreund-- thank you for the welcome. My handle was "given to me" from my staff. I aman Emergency physician, and quite a while ago we had a young lady come in pretty beat up and left for dead in a ditch. The cold water dropped her core body temperature pretty low, which wound up saving her. Essentially she went into cardiac arrest, and we resuscitated her for hours, with all kinds of invasive warming techniques. We "got her back," and despite no heartbeat for hours, eventually left the hospital whole. She became know as "the ditch lady" and I was anointed "the ditch doctor."

That is an awesome story! You will go far here lad!

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 29005 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story.
Retired volunteer EMT here so can relate to some of your experience.

PC

Posts: 407 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DitchDoctor911:
We "got her back," and despite no heartbeat for hours, eventually left the hospital whole. She became know as "the ditch lady" and I was anointed "the ditch doctor."

^^^^Really great story and discussion in this thread !

Posts: 275 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest difference I see in this 9mm craze, is some good prices on .40 guns if you like the caliber. I carry 9mm probably 75% of the time, but I have .40 and have no issues with it. The last pistol I bought was a FNX-40, got it for $150 cheaper than the FNX-9 was selling for.

You guys have brought up some great points, and this has been an informative read.

Posts: 149 | Location: Columbus, GA | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
nothing wrong with the 40.....personally I get quicker hits with a 9mm and to me that makes a difference.

Posts: 6003 | Location: DFW is home but currently in PHX | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breath easy. The 40 isn't going anywhere I prefer 9. No matter what gun I have it doesn't hurt my hands. I have a good amount of arthritis in my body. I did shoot an all steel STI in 40 and it shot smooth.

Posts: 5 | Location: Wrightstown NJ  | Registered: July 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post