SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Considering 10MM
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering 10MM Login/Join 
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
If you have the extra funds to purchase a 10 mm firearm, I'd say do it. They are a lot of fun to shoot and I purchased a Glock 20 Gen4 after renting one at a gun range. To me recoil is comparable to the P220 in 45 auto.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I recently joined the 10mm club. I have some Hornady 180gr XTP w/ claimed 1180fps muzzle velocity. Is this good stuff?

I've heard Underwood and Buffalo Bore mentioned a lot. What are some of these SD ammo that will destroy an attacker's soul? What do you recommend?

I don't hand load, nor am I about to start.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just took my G20.4 out with some 220 underwoods and man do I like that combo. Recoil wasn't bad and I like having some extra power on tap with a very controllable gun. Its darn accurate too. I really think the dual sprung gen 4 is where its at.

I dip my toes into bear country now and then and I think this will be a great woods rig. I had a big bore revolver and unless the bear had its shoulders stuck into the broad side of a barn I'm not sure how effective I'd have been. Hope I dont ever have to find out.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some manufacturer needs to offer up a three gun "set" in 10MM.
a d.a. revolver, a carbine and a semi auto single stack 1911

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If you like polymer framed 10mm pistols be patient. I have it on good authority that there will be another offering pretty soon. Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on your application but a Glock 20 with premium 6 inch barrel can wring out some impressive velocities. 15+1 rounds of double tap or similar on board is a lot of power before needing to reload.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by flhr95:
Seems like 10MM is becoming the new 40 caliber, is it worth investing in a 10MM firearm or is it a short lived attraction.

Uh, how old are you?

Or are you just tongue in cheek ignoring the history? Can't tell.

Define "investing."

10mm is here to stay, can't really say that about .40. It never achieved what they said it would.

Honestly, I kind of agree with the OP. .38 super is here to stay also and been around a long time. BUT, try finding commercially sold .38 super and (until recently with the resurgence of 10MM) 10MM. Up until recently they were a round that was great for reloaders, horrible for someone that just buys the ammo and EXPENSIVE. And if you do find commercially sold 10mm, it's loaded to about .40 caliber pressures anyways, a little more but not anywhere close to full 10 mm potential.

While .40 caliber is falling out of favor a little, it is still a very commercially available round and can find ammo for it on the shelf in just about any place that sells ammo. Even more so than any of your standard revolver rounds. During the ammo shortage a few years ago, it was about the only caliber you could find on shelves and it's 1/2 the price of 10mm.

But, you can always have a .40 caliber barrel fitted for a 10mm gun and shoot both. I see 10mm as a great woods pistol, and that's about it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Luckygunner.com and objectively analyze the lab tests with 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm.

It makes sense and can provide a wise direction.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 10 is a super round that has a lot of history. I am a 10 guy. Also-Nosler website has 9,10 and 45 match on sale at 19.99 per 50 and free ship over $100. Load up.

Posts: 107 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: March 08, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flhr95:
Seems like 10MM is becoming the new 40 caliber, is it worth investing in a 10MM firearm or is it a short lived attraction.
The 10MM Auto cartridge is what gave birth to the 40S&W

Many of us have been shooting it for a good 30 years now.

The last 5 or 6 years have been fantastic with dozens of introductions of both firearms and ammunition in this potent cartridge

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
some manufacturer needs to offer up a three gun "set" in 10MM.
a d.a. revolver, a carbine and a semi auto single stack 1911
That can be easily done today, but not by a single manufacturer

HK makes carbines

Smith & Wesson along with Ruger make revolvers

Everybody else makes auto loaders for the 10MM Auto cartridge

I have extended the chambers on my revolvers that were chambered for the 10MM Auto cartridge so that they can now also fire the 10MM Magnum. This provides for more power and versatility in the wheelgun

The 10MM Magnum yeilds about 200-400 additional FPS over a 10MM Auto load depending on projectile weight

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my RIA single stack 10.

Posts: 3 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Try Georgia Arms.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Recently acquired a Springfield 10mm XDM OSP and added a Vortex Venom red dot. I love this setup! Recoil is comparable to 45ACP with S&B 180 FMJ

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a g20 gen 4 that is extremely accurate and handles the 10mm very well. Ammo is expensive but you can find speer or fiochi range ammo on sale often.
Plus you can get a 9x25 dillon bar sto barrel that drops right in. Im a big fan of 357sig and the 9x25 dillon is its big brother. Its definitely what I would call a boutique cartridge but makes for a fun day at the range.

Posts: 80 | Location: NJ | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Glock 20 for about 10 years now and love it. I carry it when I go hiking in a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker holster attached to my backpack hip belt, works great. I had a Boresight solutions grip reduction so it feels really really good, no more bloody middle finger from the trigger guard. Also have a lone wolf 40 caliber drop in barrel for cheaper practice and the Advantage Arms 22 slide for even cheaper practice. That AA slide is super accurate too.

I'm budgeting now to upgrade the trigger, get a threaded barrel and maybe mill it for a red dot. It's one gun I'll never sell.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post