SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Steel projectiles out of handguns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel projectiles out of handguns? Login/Join 
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted
This is a medically relevant query: are you aware of any handgun projectiles that incorporate steel? Note, not cases, projectiles. I’m not aware of any, but my knowledge only goes so far.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have heard in the past of Russian pistol ammo with steel jackets and light copper plating (copper-washed) over a lead core. I don't know if any is still around.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found an old batch of 9mm 124 gr. FMJ-RN last week, appeared to have normal copper alloy jackets. I use a magnetic parts dish for a bullet tray with he 550. Got to the bottom, the last layer was sticking to the tray. These were probably from Widners, and probably Israeli from a good while back. Shot a box of the handloads in my 239-9 yesterday, saw no difference. I would not be surprised if some of the Russian pistol ammo has a steel jacket with a copper plating over it.

Posts: 1637 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
From the Wikipedia entry on Wolf ammunition:

quote:

In addition to using a steel casing, certain types of Wolf rifle cartridges use steel-jacketed bullets, which are often copper-plated and cosmetically similar to standard copper-jacketed bullets. The copper exterior of the bullet is approximately .005 inch thick, with an underlying steel jacket of about 1/32 inch thick. This type of ammunition is labeled "bimetal".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Ammunition

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post