SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Sig V-Crown .357 Sig 125gr jhp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig V-Crown .357 Sig 125gr jhp Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
Is anyone carrying this round with confidence? My wife picked up 100 rounds for me as a surprise birthday gift. I have no experience with the round. My M&P full size 1.0 shoots Gold Dot just fine, but I am running low on it.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried it, as I have several cases of Gold Dot on hand. But, Sig badly wants a big chunk of the LE market, and and I don't doubt their ammo is top shelf. I would shoot a couple of mags full, then carry with confidence. I have shot 357 Sig for a long time, and since it was always aimed primarily at the LE market, all the major makers only seem to load good product. Not like some of the crappy 9x19 cheap stuff out there.

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIG did a demo day at my PD range shooting into gelatin through various barriers. The 124 grain JHP gave penetration and expansion comparable to competing rounds. We selected it as our duty ammo. It's my understanding that Sierra makes the bullets, a good company. We've only had one officer involved shooting with the round, it was effective.

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Been reliable round at the range but haven't seen any penetrating test data.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1531 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry the Sig V-crown in .357 Sig in my G32.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/357-sig-gel-test/

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guppy, I saw the Lucky Gunner tests. I also saw another test where the round failed
miserably. That is why I trust you guys!

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I carry the Sig V-crown in .357 Sig in my G32.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/357-sig-gel-test/

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you say it failed miserably, it failed in what way?

The chief advantage of the .357 Sig round is muzzle energy, and velocity. There are several ways to look at it, though many of the popular metrics are misleading or false.

Some believe that expansion is the most important, when in fact it's the least. Some think that the effectiveness of shooting comes from "modern" ammunition that has greater "performance." It doesn't. It comes from shot placement. A round has to hit the right place and it has to go deep enough to do damage. A round which doesn't strike a vital area or interrupt the central nervous system isn't going to do a lot of real work to stop a fight. A round which tickles the skin is worthless; it's got to go in the right place and go deep enough.

There are those who say a round has failed if it doesn't expand. This isn't true. A round which doesn't expand goes deeper; it has more penetration, and that's a lot more important than expansion. You want a round to pass through barriers and vital organs. Too much penetration, however, means that the energy is partially wasted outside the target, and that it may pose a hazard to other people or things beyond the target.

With rounds like the vcrown or golddot, the bullet expands more as the round goes faster. Bonded bullets dont' separate (jacket from lead), and stay together, enhancing penetration but also use softer lead which broadens or expands; this creates more frontal area, more drag, and less penetration. Too slow, and it won't expand, and will penetrate more, but there's a point where too slow and it won't penetrate, either.

There comes a point at which faster means more expansion, but as it goes faster and faster, there is less penetration due to the rapid expansion.

The so-called FBI standard, what the FBI prescribes as the ideal range for penetration, is 12-18 inches in ballistic gel. The vcrown do that; they don't penetrate as deep as some, largely because they do expand regardless of what they pass through. Some hollow point ammunition only works if it isn't clogged with clothing or debris; the vcrown, like gold dot, expand regardless of what they hit. This means they don't tend to overpenetrate.

The higher velocity of the .357 Sig has some value with barriers; one that's been cited before is auto glass. While neither you nor I will likely be shooting at someone through their windshield, it is possible that your bullet may need to penetrate bone, someone's clothing, or objects that are between you and that person, and the .357 Sig makes a flat-shooting cartridge that's reliable (it feeds very reliably) and that does penetrate even with barriers.

.357 Sig is expensive to train with, most most .357 Sig firearms have .40 barrels available, use the same magazines, and .40 isn't that expensive to train with, and is easy to reload. It handles about the same when it comes to shooting; recoil and feel and shooting is the same; so one can shoot .40 out of the firearm to do more shooting for less cost.

What kind of failure has been reported for the .357 Sig v-crown?

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldstar225:
We've only had one officer involved shooting with the round, it was effective.

Can you give any details?

I've been considering switching from a glock 32 to a 19 for ccw. Maybe I should stick with the 32.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The V-Crown is a Sierra bullet. My only experience with the 125 grain bullet in a .357 SIG has been with a few dozen handloads on paper. The same bullet in my .38 Super shoots great and has smacked one coyote and one raccoon with decisive results.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The higher velocity of the .357 Sig has some value with barriers; one that's been cited before is auto glass. While neither you nor I will likely be shooting at someone through their windshield,

I assume I will be shooting through automotive glass. But not because I will be shooting into a vehicle, but out. I am not rolling down my window to engage a car jacker.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After you touch off that round inside the car with the windows rolled up, you'll develop lip reading skill, and you won't miss sound very much. Soon you won't remember what it was like.

posted Hide Post
I have carried the 357 SIG for a very long time at work and afterwards in 2nd Gen Glock 32 which I still carry, all I ever carried in it was Ranger T, Gold Dot and a short time some Cor-Bon, it had been 100% with all as we were issued, I know they work and feel sure the SIG VC would be fine just never tried of had that, my daily carry has been RangerT or Gold Dot now for over 15+ yrs as said I know they work and do not plan on changing but if some SigVC showed up I would try it for sure, like the Ranger T best although the Cor-Bon was excellent but we did not get very much of that, think I have 1 box left.

Posts: 14 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: May 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have it in my P239 DAK. Seems like a good round. I do notice that it seems to be more prone to bullet set-back than the Winchester SXT rounds in my SP2340.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
I have it in my P239 DAK. Seems like a good round. I do notice that it seems to be more prone to bullet set-back than the Winchester SXT rounds in my SP2340.

Do you unload a lot?
The only times I have seen this.
Mine stays loaded 24/7 I nave never had any setback I know of here. But only have shot Gold Dot & Ranger T 99% of all ever shot in it, Cor-Bon none noticed either.

My #1 go to round for many years.

Posts: 14 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: May 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen setback in the .357 Sig rounds; enough that it's visibly different, even if the round was gently chambered.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Re-chambered 357 Sigs go into the practice-only bowl, even if they
are $$$ hollow points.

Seems prudent ...

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post