SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Hornady Critical Defense FTX ammo question

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Critical Defense FTX ammo question Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
I recently acquired a box of Hornady "Critical Defense", .40 S&W, 165 grain, FTX ammunition. I am familiar with the concept of how it works but what I am curious about is the rubber-like material in the hollowed out area of the bullet point (feels like a pencil eraser). What is its composition and does it last or will it degrade over time as rubber does. I can't seem to find much info about it on the net. Anyone know about this?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I doubt that its "rubber" like we routinely think of the material, but I could not find anything in their literature that says what the tip is composed of. I tried to find the patent information on the product line, but failed. There's a lot of reading here...

http://www.hornadyle.com/asset...pplication-Guide.pdf

Get over yourself. You're not that special unless you walked on the moon or received the Medal of Honor.

Posts: 8581 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
az4783054 - thank you! That is a lot of information. I think I'll be reading and re-reading it for a while. And I am somewhat relieved to know you couldn't find anything either and it wasn't me missing something obvious. Thanks again.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post