SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Preferred Indoor Defense Ammo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred Indoor Defense Ammo? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
As someone who has been shooting for over 50 years now, I feel that I should already have answered this question myself. However, I still cannot decide the following: What would be the preferred indoor self-defense solution using one of my SIG pistols....

1) P226/9mm with 17+1
2) P229 in .40S&W with 12+1
3) P229 in .357SIG with 12+1

Those are my options, all of which have tritium night sights, and all have been tested at 100% reliability.

So, from those three options, which would you choose, and why?

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was talking to an adult son the other day as he was musing about bare ammo shelves. I said, ‘do you know, you can shoot the bad guy with FMJ ammo’?

I don’t mean to be trite, but since the 3 have been tested, any could be the ideal choice. I think situational awareness, availability, & preparedness for the encounter are key. Let your dog give the early warning.

I’m still a 40 fan, I’d pick that.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Whichever one you're most comfortable shooting and hit the best with.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Depends on your situation. I live in a condo. Out of concern for my neighbors, I use Federal Guard Dog. It has an EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) bullet. A plastic tip in the bullet causes expansion when it hits anything, including dry wall. That reduces dry wall penetration.

A JHP bullet expands only by hydraulic force, and goes through dry wall like ball ammo. I use it in my 9mm P226 X5 Competition.

www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstor...roductline/guard-dog

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although there is not a huge difference from 1 to 3 in ballistic effectiveness, and even less between 2 and 3, 3 would be—and is—my choice for that reason.

There is a miniscule chance that a home invader will do anything other than turn and flee as fast as his legs will carry him if confronted by an armed defender, not to mention if he’s being shot at. In the highly unlikely event that he decides to push his luck, however, then I would want the most effective round available. I can deliver accurate fire with all three of the mentioned cartridges and handguns, and I am literally only hundredths of a second faster with the least powerful of the lot so “shootability” isn’t something I fear will affect my effectiveness.

Edit: Knew what I wanted to say, but ....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Bingo.
That hasn't changed in last 50 years. Doubtful it will change in the next 50 years.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Bingo.
That hasn't changed in last 50 years. Doubtful it will change in the next 50 years.

agree this is always the answer

i'm fine w/ 9mm

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Keep in mind that any round that won't penetrate walls also won't effectively penetrate a bad guy. As someone (jljones?) here put it not too long ago: "Don't choose your defensive ammo based on what round would be the best to miss with".

Pick a quality modern JHP in whatever defensive caliber you shoot best, and use that for all your defensive purposes (indoor/outdoor/summer/winter/whatever). Train until you can shoot quickly and accurately, even under stress. Pay attention to your backstops and optimal shooting lanes.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the comments. I forgot to mention that my chosen defense ammo in all three calibers is Hornady Critical Defense...

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I agree with the hive that which ever one you can shoot the best is the one to keep by your bedside. One question I have is do you have a light on any of them? Also, if you have any concerns on the viability of the 9mm (I don’t, particularly at short ranges) then possibly consider +P ammo.

MY personal preference is my 226 due mainly to the capacity of the weapon.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I agree with the hive that which ever one you can shoot the best is the one to keep by your bedside. One question I have is do you have a light on any of them? <<snip>>

I currently do not have a light on any of them, and my P226R is the only one with a rail, so it'll be getting a light soon as I've decided to make it my primary "something went bump in the dark" gun for household protection. I do have a high-power tactical light that I keep on my nightstand for checking out the house... and for any other reason I'd want light without turning on the household lights, so that is what I've been using to to date.

Edit to add: I have no problem with 9mm ammo for home defense... the original question was intended to answer the nagging one of "Do I choose higher capacity, or larger caliber and sacrifice some capacity?" Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Since I'm not a cop and not a drug dealer, I just have trouble seeing any real chance of having multiple armed invaders at the house. We live in a very rural setting. I think many invasions might have one guy armed and the others probably just tagging along to collect the loot or drive or be watchouts, etc. Don't think the precentage chance of having 3 armed assailants is remotely reasonable.

So, capacity isn't very high on my list of important things. My .357mag SP101 has a laser grip and I kindof like that for night-time operations (not to mention it's pretty damned powerful) - but only 5 rounds.
Under the bed is a Mossberg turkey gun filled with 00buck - again, not very many rounds in the grand scheme of things, but probably enough for anything likely to happen at my house.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
let's see , you are in alabama so.....yes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the P226, only because of it's higher capacity and less recoil. Because you may have to shoot someone more than once. Maybe a lot more. Maybe more than one person more than once. No one complains about not having to reload a gun.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Gold Dot, HST, Golden Sabre, Ranger SXT, PDX1, critical duty/defense.....hell I’d be fine with win white box JHP.

124 grain in 9mm
165-180 grain in .40
230 grain in .45

I don’t shoot .357 SIG.

So basically any or all of those with any half decent defensive ammo that I knew functioned. I am fairly caliber and brand agnostic as I know there is no wunderbullet.

YMMV of course.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Keep in mind that any round that won't penetrate walls also won't effectively penetrate a bad guy. As someone (jljones?) here put it not too long ago: "Don't choose your defensive ammo based on what round would be the best to miss with".

Or, as I like to say, if your bullet won't make a hole in a wall, it won't make a hole in a man, either. Razz

I recommend whatever ammo you carry on the street, and don't miss. Hollow-point handgun bullets don't usually through-and-through penetrate a body. Scope out your house for "shoot" or "no-shoot" zones (will your bullet hit, for example, your kids' bedrooms) and don't fire in that direction unless absolutely necessary.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I prefer 357 Sig.

After it decimates the enemy and all his adjacent cohorts, it describes an elegant arc, and returns to your right hand.

Just remember rule #4.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post