SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    9mm vs Brown bear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm vs Brown bear Login/Join 
posted
This was sent to me,

https://www.wideopenspaces.com...tm_campaign=ttagfeed

I don’t know anything reallly about it but it’s food for thought at least.

JAMES 3:1
USPSA life member

Posts: 270 | Location: Indian River Shores, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
“Where can I find new underwear?”

“Aisle 7.”

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't understand why an Alaskan guide, who has been in the Alaska bush for years and years, would ever carry something as small as a 9mm out there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I can't understand why an Alaskan guide, who has been in the Alaska bush for years and years, would ever carry something as small as a 9mm out there.

And will he still carry that gun after it took 7+(?) shots to put it down while it was interested in someone else.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Just pure, dumb luck!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good shooting and some luck.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Timely thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...450068064#3450068064

Colt Python with a 2.5 inch barrel and .357 158 grain softpoints. I don't know how many shots my old friend fired.

Probably all of them Wink

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
And a reported S&W 3954 to boot(Looks like a 3953 to me - ‘54 being the blued version).

Hope that 3954 had a better reset than my 3953 did. Talk about a looooonnnggg reset. These are DAO, heavy triggered bitches unless someone worked the trigger, and even afterward would still be longer than what I’d like.

Hats off to the Guide for good shooting.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think that guide mentioned, Phil Shoemaker is legendary on dealing with bears in AK?

If so, one would think he’d have a 375 H&H, or at least a 454 in a handgun?

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
"Phil was using 147gr hard cast bullets made by Buffalo Bore that are designed specifically for deep penetration".

This, paired with phenomenal luck and the fact that the Brownie wasn't really that large probably made the difference.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in Alaska, and grew up in the bush. I can tell you with out any doubt that shooting a large Grizzly with a 9mm would be extremely stupid. A buddy of mine almost got killed by one, and he is a damn good shot, and very experienced in the bush. He was using a 30-06, and told me he would never attempt that foolishness again.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW! 9mm is better than nothing and in this case it was enough.

I stared at a 370 pound boar hog in an open field during daylight for about 5 minutes thinking do I take the shot or regroup. I was armed with a P938 loaded with 124gr +P HST. The hog was about 20-25 yards out, but I could have stalked in to about 15 yards. If it were life or death, I would have taken the shot. However, it was not, I did not feel that the 9mm was going to anchor that hog DRT, so I fell back and gathered my rifle for a night hunt.

I would have never attempted a 9mm against a Brown Bear and I certainly would have been armed with a little more firepower just in case it was life or death.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post