SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Informal test of 9mm Hornady XTP

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Informal test of 9mm Hornady XTP Login/Join 
posted
American Gunner line,
124gr 9mm +P, #90224

Executive summary: Penetrated 18+” in water, expanded to about 5/8”.

Let me be clear: This is very UNscientific testing. Sample size shot in water was one (I fired 10 rds total).

Academy had a hot deal, $12.99/bx of 25 with free shipping. Although it’ll be a while before I carry these, I decided to test them in my G-26. I set up four water-filled milk jugs and fired one round from about 5’.

The bullet went through three jugs (6” each) and stopped in #4. I called it 18 inches, more than I had expected. Expansion was also good, about 5/8 inch. See photos below.

Posts: 11830 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the XTP bullets.

"the road to heck is paved with good intentions"
-Uncle Chick

Posts: 19251 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I have a good stash of 9x19 124grain Hornady Custom Ammo and .45ACP TAP, I've found them to be reliable feeders and highly accurate bullets.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 10094 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried 90gr Hornady XTP (not American Gunner) in my LCP for years, a water jug test showed similar performance. I was concerned the new (AFAIK) American Gunner line might not penetrate or expand, but as you can see this round did fine.

Posts: 11830 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting test I like to do that really pushes the durability of the bullet is to shoot at ice. Freeze a jug of water and shoot it. Ice is still water, and it will cause the hollow point to fully expand, but the more dense ice will really stress the petals of the hollow point.

The vast majority of older hollow point designs like XTPs, Gold Sabers, Silver Tips,....etc will shed their petals off and all that remains of the bullet will be the cylindrical core and petal fragments. Most modern bullets that are rated to punch through windshields like the HST will stay fully intact once you dig them out of the ice.

Posts: 445 | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s something I first posted about five years ago. It's Hornady's original XTP, not American Gunner.

========================================================

A very UNscientific test of 380 XTP

Penetration: 12+" inches of water
Expansion: About 6/16"
Sample size: One round

Last week I set up three water-filled 6” milk jugs and fired one round thru my LCP from about 4 feet. It went through three jugs, settling in the third. I could not determine how far it went into the third jug, so I called it 12" of penetration.

What did this prove? Well, not a lot. But 150+ XTPs have flawlessly
chambered and fired thru my LCP, and the one I tested expanded as designed.

posted Hide Post
My first post was about the American Gunner 124gr 9mm +P, #90224. It's on the clearance page for $16.99/bx (of 25) with free shipping.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pd...n-handgun-ammunition