SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Good 9mm Luger range ammo deal: Federal 100-round boxes at Wal-Mart
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good 9mm Luger range ammo deal: Federal 100-round boxes at Wal-Mart Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lmacrichter:
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Originally posted by lmacrichter:
I bought some of this Federal Brass today and just noticed the box says FMJ RN. Being a fairly new shooter does the RN simply stand for round nose? I don't mean to sound dumb but inquiring minds want to know. Also the 100 rd brass was cheaper than 2 50 rd boxes of aluminum. I have shot the aluminum when brass was not available and never had any problems with it.

RN = round nose. Manufacturers have been having some special pricing lately on their munitions so that may be what you are seeing.

When I was putting my ammo away last night I noticed it said not for use by LE which makes sense but it also says do not use with ported barrels or slides. Does anyone know this would be a problem?

The bullets are plated. That's a no no with ported barrels. It doesn't matter if the slide is ported or not. That being said, I know of people that shoot plated through ported barrels.

I just bought 200 rounds of aluminum Federal to try. I notice that loaded ammo has come down a bit more than components. Not really worth it for me to reload 9mm for the time being.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Last week I bought a 100 rd box of Federal 9mm FMJ aluminum case ammo at Walmart for $17.46. It's not just the brass casing that has gone down in price. WWB seemed to have gone down too.

Like jhe888, I remember c. 2006 I used to go to Academy regularly to buy 50 rd boxes of Blazer 9mm aluminum for $3.99/box and WWB brass for $4.99. I bet I still have some old receipts hidden somewhere to prove it. The entire market changed when Obama became the DNC presidential candidate in late 2007.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot a 100 rds of the Federal brass today. It really shot well and seemed a little hotter than some of the other range ammo out there. It shot great in my M&P 9c and Sid P320. Grouping was pretty good with both guns.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
The bullets are plated.

Are you certain? Box allegedly says "FMJ," which implies (J)acketed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I miss buying 2K rounds of Blazer 9mm for $200 shipped. Frown

Suggest you check out SGammo! I think you'll be happy with some of their deals. Made me happy.

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:How about the prices of twelve or fifteen years ago? Academy Sports sold Blazer Aluminum 9mm for under $4 a box. I should have bought a truckload.

Totally agreed! We're officially old.

I also remember it at $4 and change per box of 50.

Like gasoline prices, it's two steps forward and one backward. Funny how we think it's a steal at $2.50/gal now - just like we think it's a steal at $10/50rd box now.

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Prices on 9mm have been slowly dropping. Now to get the price down to where it was 8 years ago. (I know it won't happen.)

Prices are currently lower than they were 8 years ago. In 2008, 9mm FMJ brass cased were already $10/box of 50, or more. WWB at Walmart was $20/100.

I'm not certain, but I think it was around 2006-2007 that metal prices shot up and ammo prices climbed sharply.

In 2005 at Walmart 100 round packs of WWB was $10.53 for 9mm and $19.97 for .45 acp......the good old days.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post