SIGforum
Good 9mm Luger range ammo deal: Federal 100-round boxes at Wal-Mart

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/3610035724

July 19, 2017, 06:17 PM
egregore
Good 9mm Luger range ammo deal: Federal 100-round boxes at Wal-Mart
Brass case, too. In fact, the brass is less than the aluminum. Currently priced at $18.97 per 100-round box. I have shot up a couple and they all went bang and made holes.
July 19, 2017, 07:16 PM
sgalczyn
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Brass case, too. In fact, the brass is less than the aluminum. Currently priced at $18.97 per 100-round box. I have shot up a couple and they all went bang and made holes.

Always the tease...... Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"
July 20, 2017, 11:24 PM
AZSigs
Prices on 9mm have been slowly dropping. Now to get the price down to where it was 8 years ago. (I know it won't happen.)

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
July 21, 2017, 06:38 AM
egregore
In the late 1990s and early 2000s you could buy .45 range ammo for what 9mm is today, and 9mm was even lower. Still, infinitely preferable to, say, 2012.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,
July 21, 2017, 12:56 PM
honestlou
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Prices on 9mm have been slowly dropping. Now to get the price down to where it was 8 years ago. (I know it won't happen.)

Prices are currently lower than they were 8 years ago. In 2008, 9mm FMJ brass cased were already $10/box of 50, or more. WWB at Walmart was $20/100.

I'm not certain, but I think it was around 2006-2007 that metal prices shot up and ammo prices climbed sharply.
July 21, 2017, 05:59 PM
sgalczyn
I recall the WWB -9mm 100 round bulk packs---$11.97/ea

"No matter where you go - there you are"
July 21, 2017, 07:30 PM
Mountain Man
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

Ditto. I remember early 2000's when $20 bought me a bulk pack of ammo and covered my entry fee for a Friday night plate shoot.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm
July 21, 2017, 11:03 PM
honestlou
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
quote:

Ditto. I remember early 2000's when $20 bought me a bulk pack of ammo and covered my entry fee for a Friday night plate shoot.

Maybe early 2000s, but 8 years ago was 2009! Time keeps on ticking, ticking, ticking, into the future...

I didn't shoot 9mm until 8-10 years ago, and $10/50 has always been a good price for me. Back then I was told about the good old days of $5-6/box. But that definitely was well before 2008.
July 22, 2017, 04:37 PM
rickjz
quote:

Those were the days! Back then I bought a lot of it at that price point. Looking back on it, sure was happy I acquired an abundance. During the years of the ammo shortage, I had plenty available.
August 03, 2017, 09:58 PM
Raff661
Just got back from Walmart, went for a couple of things we needed around the house and ended up buying 3 boxes of federal 100rd Brass case for 18.97 each and a box of federal 100rd .223 for 34.00 will be trying it out tomorrow and see how it works for me
August 04, 2017, 04:27 PM
jhe888
quote:

How about the prices of twelve or fifteen years ago? Academy Sports sold Blazer Aluminum 9mm for under $4 a box. I should have bought a truckload.

I feel like my grandmother, complaining that bread should be ten cents a loaf.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
August 05, 2017, 04:41 PM
Anubismp
look on the bright side, atleast guns don't run on gas Smile
August 12, 2017, 08:12 AM
kz1000
I miss buying 2K rounds of Blazer 9mm for $200 shipped. Frown

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
August 17, 2017, 03:23 PM
amals
Leave it to the forum for answers. I just saw this at Walmart and wondered about it because the box has changed from the old dark red color. Counter guy said it was the same, just new box.
August 18, 2017, 12:11 PM
jljones
Not to jack this thread, but has anyone seen this aluminum cased Federal ammo any place but Walmart? Or is this a Walmart exclusive?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

August 18, 2017, 01:50 PM
egregore
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Not to jack this thread, but has anyone seen this aluminum cased Federal ammo any place but Walmart? Or is this a Walmart exclusive?

Respectively, no, and I don't know.

I have never bothered to try out their aluminum, when brass is cheaper. Aluminum seems to be an individual gun thing; I had a number of failures to eject Blazer aluminum in a CZ, but it ran perfectly with any brass. I don't recall any stoppages with it in other guns.
September 07, 2017, 07:19 PM
lmacrichter
I bought some of this Federal Brass today and just noticed the box says FMJ RN. Being a fairly new shooter does the RN simply stand for round nose? I don't mean to sound dumb but inquiring minds want to know. Also the 100 rd brass was cheaper than 2 50 rd boxes of aluminum. I have shot the aluminum when brass was not available and never had any problems with it.
September 07, 2017, 08:00 PM
AZSigs
quote:
Originally posted by lmacrichter:
I bought some of this Federal Brass today and just noticed the box says FMJ RN. Being a fairly new shooter does the RN simply stand for round nose? I don't mean to sound dumb but inquiring minds want to know. Also the 100 rd brass was cheaper than 2 50 rd boxes of aluminum. I have shot the aluminum when brass was not available and never had any problems with it.

RN = round nose. Manufacturers have been having some special pricing lately on their munitions so that may be what you are seeing.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
September 08, 2017, 02:39 PM
lmacrichter
quote:
quote:

RN = round nose. Manufacturers have been having some special pricing lately on their munitions so that may be what you are seeing.

When I was putting my ammo away last night I noticed it said not for use by LE which makes sense but it also says do not use with ported barrels or slides. Does anyone know this would be a problem?
September 08, 2017, 05:15 PM
AZSigs
quote:
quote:
quote:

When I was putting my ammo away last night I noticed it said not for use by LE which makes sense but it also says do not use with ported barrels or slides. Does anyone know this would be a problem?

I'm guessing but they may put a flash retardant in their military and LEO spec'd ammunition. Ported barrels/slides and some ammunition give a brilliant display of flash at night. It really hampers the night vision. Remington has in the past had the lowest flash signature with Federal having one of the brighter. Take a night class and look at the flash displays. My handloads with 231 in 45ACP make for a nice fireball.