SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Nasty/dirty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nasty/dirty Login/Join 
posted
If UMC is nasty/dirty, which it is what's the cleanest?

Posts: 14 | Registered: January 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I don't know about factory but 124 grain fmj over 5.0 grains WST powder is the cleanest thing I've ever shot.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal offerings are pretty clean IMO.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I shot some Winchester BEB a pretty good long time ago but, best I recall it's pretty clean.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it just the Superformance ammo but after shooting a half dozen pigs with Hornady ammo this weekend, my buddy looked down the bore of my BAR and said, you already cleaned the thing? No. It was sparkling clean with absolutely no residue.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
To achieve the lowest production cost for the maker, they will use practically any propellant that can meet a certain velocity/pressure spec, while achieving safe results, having good production properties, and decent consistency. This means perhaps forgoing potentially more expensive propellants that contain flash inhibitors, incorporate copper cutting tech, etc, and buy ones with a slower pressure curve/less complete burning, single/double base that has a lot of graphite coating, etc.

Companies will literally buy train carloads of propellant, from worldwide sources that can perhaps be used as is, or blended and tested in the makers lab with other propellants, to meet a certain spec. Even if the company can save say a nickle a pound, adds up when loading millions of rounds. Also, it can be a crap shoot - one ammo lot can be "clean", or cleaner at a certain temp, etc... Next lot can produce nearly identical velocities, but look like burning black powder, with a ton of powder fouling yet meet a spec. Companies could even luck into buying tons of higher quality propellant, simply because at the time, that is what the market had... Maybe a huge military contract over-run, a tiny bit out of a certain spec, used in the box/lot you just bought.

Although I am 100% reloads for all calibers I shoot, Remington 9mm has been getting a bad rap for a very long time, and it seems most times deservingly so. Good luck.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Anything Speer seems to burn relatively clean. I shoot a lot of their Lawman and the only stuff I've found that shoots cleaner is their Gold Dots and a few other brands of premium grade defense ammo.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickg216:
If UMC is nasty/dirty, which it is what's the cleanest?

Winchester Win Clean. I've used it in both 9 mm and 357 Magnum. Whatever powder they are using burns super clean.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Winclean and Speer Lawman ammo are definately cleaner than UMC, IMHO.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Winclean and Speer Lawman ammo are definately cleaner than UMC, IMHO.

I always found Blazer and Blazer Brass to be clean and perform well in .40 S&W 165 gr.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Magtech ammo burned pretty clean.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For general utility plinking and typical combat level accuracy it really does not matter. As long as the gun keeps running how dirty it is becomes completely irrelevant

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Anything Speer seems to burn relatively clean. I shoot a lot of their Lawman and the only stuff I've found that shoots cleaner is their Gold Dots and a few other brands of premium grade defense ammo.

I concur. Speer Lawman TMJ and FMJ is good stuff.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post