SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Mini-14 Ranch rifle 1/7 twist: recommend ammo for accuracy trials, please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-14 Ranch rifle 1/7 twist: recommend ammo for accuracy trials, please. Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Which bullet weights, styles, brands have given you the best results?

According to http://sunflowerammo.blogspot....rel-twist-rates.html ,

my old rifle has a 1/7" twist rate.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Understand that the words "accuracy" and "Mini-14" generally aren't stated in the same sentence. The newer Mini-14s have been tweaked to improve accuracy, but just cannot match the accuracy of a decent AR-15. I have yet to hear of anyone using a Mini-14 successfully in a competition which demands accuracy, especially at distance.

That said, there are types of bullets which tend to be accurate across multiple platforms and barrels. The bullets include:
69 Sierra Match King
77 Sierra Match King
75 Hornady HPBT
73 Hornady ELD-M (requires a tight chamber)
68 Hornady HPBT
55 Hornady VMax
55 Sierra Blitzking
52 HPBT -- Hornady and Sierra
50 Berger match varmint

For loaded ammo, the most consistent companies include:
Federal
Hornady
Black Hills
Fiocchi
Aussie Outback (ADI)
HSM

Across multiple barrel lengths, twists, and manufacturers, I find the 69 grain SMK bullet to be the most consistently accurate. Look for loads from Federal, Aussie Outback, and Fiocchi.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Understand that the words "accuracy" and "Mini-14" generally aren't stated in the same sentence.

For what its worth, I can shoot an apple off your head at 100 yards with MY mini 14 and open sights. I cannot do the same with any of my AR15 rifles.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody will ever attempt to shoot an apple of my head.

Every AR-15 I own (7 different uppers, barrels from 14" to 24") shoots 5 round groups of less than 1" at 100 yards with multiple types of match ammo. Even the uppers with LPV optics. On my better days, those groups shrink to .5" or .6". On my best days with my best rifles, those groups shrink to .3" or .4".

My 14", 16", and 24" ARs hold vertical dispersion of 1 MOA or less out to at least 500 yards. The 18" match rifle holds 1 MOA out to 700 yards, the 20" match rifle holds 1 MOA vertical out to 800 yards. When this no longer occurs due to throat erosion, I install a new barrel.

I've yet to hear of a mini-14 that can even come close to such performance. And I sure haven't experienced anything like that live.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Understand that the words "accuracy" and "Mini-14" generally aren't stated in the same sentence.

For loaded ammo, the most consistent companies include:
Federal
Hornady
Black Hills
Fiocchi
Aussie Outback (ADI)
HSM

I've owned a few Mini 14's and generally found the accuracy sucked.

I'll agree 100% about the Federal and Hornady ammo. If I can't get a rifle to shoot with one of the avaiable Federal premium or Hornady loads, I normally don't even waste my time with handloads.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
For what its worth, I can shoot an apple off your head at 100 yards with MY mini 14 and open sights. I cannot do the same with any of my AR15 rifles.
Well, you's a freak, baby.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
As far as the budget bulk ammo, I found that the 62 gr FMJ Hornady Frontier and the 55 gr BTHP match work well.

I can consistently group 1.3” (5 shot groups not 3) with the 62. Less than 2” for the 55.
I have a 14.5” gunner profile with a 1.5-4 LPVO that can keep the 62 gr below 2”. (If it heats up a bit they start vertical stringing below cold poi.)

That doesn’t sound great until you shoot other bulk ammo at about a consistent 3+”.

The big rifle is sub moa with match ammo.
The 14.5 hasn’t gotten there with anything yet, and won’t.

My experience with the Mini, even with the newer heavy barrel is vertical stringing. Didn’t really matter what kind of ammo used. 4-5”

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My Mini-14 was not even good for minute of pie-plate at 100 yards. At 50 yards it would shoot half-dollar sized groups. No matter what quality of rest, I couldn't get it to do better. I had a Bushmaster CAR-15 that would shoot a 2 inch group with irons at 100 yards from the same rest on a good day.

I like the ole' Mini, but most of the samples from the 80's had barrels that more than a few gun writers wrote were most useful as tomato stakes.

-shooter

Posts: 342 | Location: VA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If only there was an easy way to stabilize those older thin barrels...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16307 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If only there was an easy way to stabilize those older thin barrels..."

kkina, I don't often see, but when I do, its what you did there.

Posts: 78 | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I went around everywhere I could buying 20 round boxes of ammo. I was trying to find the best cheap ammo I could.

It was a fun test. It was nothing that you couldn’t find on another forum that was done better, and more complete.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Gave up on accuracy w/mine and sold it. What I did find was it shot Am Eagle 55gr more consistently than others.

Cold and clean it would shoot 10 O'clock 6" high, and as gun warmed it would walk...in a clockwise direction... towards a 3-4" center where I left it zeroed.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
For what its worth, I can shoot an apple off your head at 100 yards with MY mini 14 and open sights.

Mad skills, I tell you.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I call shenanigans.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I call shenanigans.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
If you can’t shoot your ARs more accurately than a mini, you might need to upgrade your ARs.

I was never in love with ARs. The buffer tube which necessitated a straight stock always irked me. I grew up shooting drop comb traditional rifles. The AR wasn’t my first semi, it was a mini.

I finally realized that a long stroke piston system, or a gas system that didn’t use the buffer was going to always be heavier and less inherently accurate than an AR.

Just like Glock, it was the simplest more versatile platform so I committed to it and made the modifications to the rifle and to me to make it work.

I wanted the SIG 556 platform to take off as a legitimate alternative to the AR but SIGs gonna SIG.

I looked at the SCAR, Galil, CZ etc and realized that if I could get past how it shouldered differently, I could custom build what I wanted at less cost. So here I am, learning to love the AR. I have a 12 LB loaded bench gun, and a 5.5 lb lightweight. I’m in the process of building an SBR, and a middleweight. I have more Optics than rifles and with QD mounts I can move them rifle to rifle and have zero notes to adjust them accordingly.

I said all that to tell you that I tried to make the mini work out to be my rifle, but it is what it is. You can’t make it something it’s not.

Sorry for the ramble.

TCB all the time...

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
smithnsig -

If you're wanting an AR with a drop comb, look into the Ares SCR.

Compatible with any AR upper and AR magazine. But uses a modified bolt carrier and lower with traditional stock.

Some folks have even fitted them with wood stocks:

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Big Grin Big Grin

Is that like once per 20 round magazine, or 30 round magazine? Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
smithnsig -

If you're wanting an AR with a drop comb, look into the Ares SCR.

Compatible with any AR upper and AR magazine. But uses a modified bolt carrier and lower with traditional stock.

Some folks have even fitted them with wood stocks:

Yeah I saw them. Kinda cool but I’ve got a few left hand uppers that are a no go. I’m pretty well used to the AR. Just took me a bit.

TCB all the time...