SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What's everyone using for .380 defense ammo?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's everyone using for .380 defense ammo? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Precision ONe 90gr XTP load.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Anything with an XTP bullet. Pretty sure most of my 238 'defense' mags are still loaded with Hornady American Gunner, though there might still be some Fiocchi XTPs mixed in as well.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting website that posts data on 380 ballistics. http://shootingthebull.net/blo...-380-acp-ammo-quest/

Posts: 3 | Registered: April 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Speer GDHP, 90gr

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a couple of boxes of Sig's 380 ammo, but I haven't tested it for function yet in either my or my wife's LCP.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Federal HST. The AmmoQuest guy didn’t like it because it didn’t penetrate enough (8+ inches) in bare gel, because of its huge expansion. But considering that the average male torso is 9.5” thick, I think that’s enough. Furthermore, in a SD shoot, the bullet is nearly certain to encounter clothing, light bone, cartilage which reduces expansion, producing more penetration.

HST’s heavy-for-caliber 99 gr bullet has the highest PF of all .380 cartridges. And the highest, or near highest, muzzle energy too. And I like its nickel plated case, which improves extraction reliability.

There are very solid reasons the standard for penetration is higher than your estimate of the average male torso.

First, you are better off preparing for a worst case scenario (a thicker guy)

Second, the penetration standard considers many shots won't be straight on and/or may pass through an arm first.

Gel tests are done with and without clothing proxies, typically denim layers.

Standards were developed from real life results and scientific testing. Why go with your hunches.

My 380 ammo of choice is any quality stuff with the XTP bullet. Fiocchi Extrema XTP or Hornady Custom XTP. I tried Precision One XTP but did not find it as reliable in cycling.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
65 grain Xtreme Defenders from Underwood Ammo.

It’s an excellent, excellent round. Especially in 380.

Here’s my LCP2:

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal hydrshok with a spare mag of buffalo bore hard cast 100gr.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Underwood 65 gr +P Extreme Defender in my G42 and SIG P232.

Haven't tested it yet in the Kahr P380, but I almost never carry it any more.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone every where will say what they use and it'll pretty well cover the field.
After reading all of the "I use" this is my use.
Underwood 380 ACP +P 65 gr Xtreme Defender (1400 fps)
They load it with Lehigh's solid copper flutter bullet.
(I use their same ammo in all my nines only +P+.)
This bullet design surpasses hollow points for permanent
wound channel and excellent penetration.
So, that's my "mine".
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Since penetration seems to be the .380 ACP’s major failing, whenever possible I use the Lehigh Defense “Extreme Penetrator” (95 grain) solid copper bullets in the ammunition that company offers. These are loaded to standard pressures. I feel it’s unnecessary to subject my firearms to the higher pressures that rounds offered by Underwood (using Lehigh bullets) provide.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstan9615a
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
65 grain Xtreme Defenders from Underwood Ammo.

It’s an excellent, excellent round. Especially in 380.

Here’s my LCP2:

What He Said!!

Posts: 61 | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hornady XTP or the equivalent Hornady American Gunner loading.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jamaicanj
posted Hide Post
Speer gold dot

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member

Posts: 707 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Fiocchi Extrema, XTP HP, 90 Grain bullet in my Glock 42

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I alternate Speer Gold Dots and the Underwood in my Ruger LCPII. That way I figure I have all angles covered.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
I load underwood Extreme Defender as first round (chambered) and rest of the mag is Federal 99gr HST. Works in my G42, Sig 232, Sig P238, Beretta 84, and the new S&W Shield E-Z. I carry .380 only on hot summer days and then only occasionally. Fall and Winter switch to .40 and .45

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Underwood's Defensive ammo. Yes, I've tested it at various targets outdoors....actually in the desert. I like the different tests done by others too.
I have it in my 9mm pistols and my wife has the
P+ in her S%W EZ.
My 9mm are using the +P+.
Understand, I don't use this ammo for practice.
Actually, its the Lehigh bullet Underwood uses that makes these great SD ammo. Underwood loads their ammo hotter than Lehigh loads their ammo with the same bullet. Permanent would channel surpasses hollow points. This said, I'm not concerned with over penetration with these loads.
Just check out the Lehigh bullet.
I'm interested, but not yet carrying Inceptor's polymer bullet with a very similar design.
If Inceptor used Polymer cases with the polymer bullet__talk about how much weight you'd save packing 15 to 17 round magazines some of these
9mm pistols have. I don' know of any high capacity 380 pistols.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
Winchester Ranger T Series new black box. I dont even care about whether or not it opens up like the old black talons. In my mind now they are better than the old black talons and will open up just the same but maybe more reliably. So, im happy with it in my Glock 42. But its funny though because its all in my mind that they are superior to the old black talons. lol!

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
In my 380"s it's Lehigh Defense 95g "Extreme Penetrator".

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post