SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What's everyone using for .380 defense ammo?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's everyone using for .380 defense ammo? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
What's in your .380?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speer Gold Dot. 95 grain. Never a hiccup and very accurate in my G42.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
This is a new thought on small caliber ammo.
Honey Badger. Ammo
I purchased some and extra to try function with no problems.

Here is link
https://www.shootingillustrate...ls-honeybadger-ammo/

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry Hornady XTP in my LCP. I fired a few to ensure it functioned with them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...llow-point-box-of-25

I also did some very unscientific testing into water, I'll send photos to the OP. Yes, it expanded.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Hornady XTP

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A hollowpoint, but nothing fancy, just some WWB I found at Academy (50-round box, $28.50).

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Hornady Critical Defense.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Hornady American Gunner .380 90gr XTP. They're readily available around here, feed through my P238 and LCP and aren't that expensive compared to some other choices. They seem to do better than most in .380 short pistol ballistics tests. I also buy the Freedom Munitions .380 90gr XTP rounds (new not reloads) and I can't tell the difference between these and the Hornady. From what I can tell, they have nearly identical specifications. I use the Freedom rounds more at the range.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Federal HST. The AmmoQuest guy didn’t like it because it didn’t penetrate enough (8+ inches) in bare gel, because of its huge expansion. But considering that the average male torso is 9.5” thick, I think that’s enough. Furthermore, in a SD shoot, the bullet is nearly certain to encounter clothing, light bone, cartilage which reduces expansion, producing more penetration.

HST’s heavy-for-caliber 99 gr bullet has the highest PF of all .380 cartridges. And the highest, or near highest, muzzle energy too. And I like its nickel plated case, which improves extraction reliability.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
<As above, I've switched to the HST 99gr JHP's from hydrashok. More expansion and only a bit less penetration per the various gel tests. If the situation arises to use my .380 the BG is likely to be real close or I've run out of ammo in my primary CCW.

Lucky gunnner website has a listing of the various manufacturers offerings that they've tested.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winchester Silver Tips.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I always recommend Remington Golden Saber .380 JHP

It's got the heaviest weight bullet of all .380 JHP out there at 102 grains.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
While Golden Saber is my choice of protection ammo, my LGS was out of it and I opted for Corbon 90gr JHP, listed at 1050fps and 220 ft/lbs. Shoots accurately!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with Underwood's Extreme Defenders? From the research I've done and videos I've watched -- apparently this stuff is pretty solid.

I'm hesitant to continue carrying JHPs in my LCP2 as they're so prone to not expanding.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I use Buffalo Bore, with a combination of hollow points and hardcast bullets for penetration. This is quality ammo, and some very good ballistic information provided:

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...?l=product_list&c=29

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winchester Ranger 95gr T-series (RA380T). Eight inches of penetration. Works perfectly in my PPK.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
9mm kurtz... Wink

V/r

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Speer Gold Dot. 95 grain. Never a hiccup and very accurate in my G42.

This, I just picked up a G42 and bought a 250 pack of 95 gr ball and a 50 round box of 95 gr gold dots. So far the 42 loves em and is accurate.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
When I still had my 380 I used Corbon DPX or Hornady XTP.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fiocchi XTP Load

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post