SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Yugo 7.62x51 Any Good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yugo 7.62x51 Any Good? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Need some ammo for my new Century Arms C308, I was looking on Gun Broker, there is a guy selling YUGO 7.62x51 ammo there which has a Cyrillic headstamp of “nny 89” which seems to translate to PPU 89.

He claims this is noncorrosive ammo, but I’m finding mixed information online about it some people are saying it’s great stuff and other people are saying it’s very corrosive. Does anyone know about this particular type of ammo? Comes in a cardboard box 15 rounds, then that is sealed inside a big lead can. Brass cased.

Thanks!

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Corrosive priming is obviously undesirable for a gas-operated semi-auto. I'm going to make a guess here, but I think it valid. I don't think it is. "Corrosive" refers to the priming compound (contains potassium chlorate, a kind of salt); smokeless powder is not corrosive. 7.62x51 is a US and NATO standard, not Soviet bloc, and has always been non-corrosive. Moreover, several of the countries that formed out of the breakup of Yugoslavia almost 30 years ago are NATO members. Therefore, I can't believe this ammo will be corrosive-primed.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but would assume it's corrosive until proven otherwise. For what it's worth, PPU manufactured the well-regarded M67 brass-cased 7.62x39 ammunition with what were unquestionably corrosive primers.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have read of a procedure to test for corrosive priming. Pull the bullet and dump the powder from a single round, chamber it, put the muzzle up near a bare steel plate, and fire. After a couple of days or so, check the spot on the plate for rusting. If you see any, the priming is corrosive.

Even if by some 0.01% chance you do have corrosive priming, simply cleaning the gun after use will prevent any problems, provided (if your rifle is gas-operated) you are able to clean out the gas tubes or passages.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I ended up buying Wolf .308 as I didn’t want to take any chances that the Yugo stuff was corrosive and the Wolf actually had several good reviews for use in the C308.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post