SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Underwood 9mm +p+ Bonded Hollow Point Ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underwood 9mm +p+ Bonded Hollow Point Ammo Login/Join 
posted
If anyone has tried it, what did you think of it?

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetwilly:
If anyone has tried it(124 grain), what did you think of it?

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This video is 5 years old but the information is likely still valid.

Looks like Underwood achieved their advertised velocity of 1300 fps. Righteous.

The 124 grain load is certainly a better choice than Underwood's 115 grain +P+ loading that uses the Speer Gold Dot.

Underwood promises 1400 fps from a 4" barrel. tnoutdoors clocked a 5 shot average of 1434 fps from a 4" barrel. Wow.

So, Para, why do you say the 124 grain offering is preferable?

One word: penetration

The extreme velocity of Underwood's 115 grain load means that it expands to an incredible degree (.880" in the video), but it penetrated to 9 inches only, as opposed to the much more desirable 13.25 inch penetration of the 124 grain load.

The accepted standard for self defense ammunition is 12 to 18 inches in ballistic gelatin. The 124 grain load fails within this window. The 115 grain load does not.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Duh! I should have thought about YouTube.

Thank you!!

Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
I've tried the non bonded Nosler bullet version and it's not bad recoil wise and it's accurate.

I need to get some more one day, too bad he switched to only selling the 20 round boxes over the 50's.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chronographed it from my Sig P228 at just over 500 lb-ft of kinetic energy! It's a seriously potent SD load, and far superior to most of the crap being "marketeered" as SD ammo while producing 330 lb-ft of KE.

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tested the 124+p+ gold dot as well as the 115+p+ from Underwood. I used my Glock 19 for both. Fired from 10 feet into Clear Ballistics blocks covered by a layer of 14oz denim,a sweatshirt and a heavy t shirt I got the following.
124+p+ 15.0 inches expanded to .64x.46 for avg .55
115+p+ 12.5innches expanded to .696x.52 avg is .61

115+p+ was gold dot also

Posts: 50 | Location: southern california | Registered: September 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hansgruber:
I chronographed it from my Sig P228 at just over 500 lb-ft of kinetic energy! It's a seriously potent SD load, and far superior to most of the crap being "marketeered" as SD ammo while producing 330 lb-ft of KE.

Kinetic energy isn't the whole picture, and a round that doesn't penetrate (115 gn, as noted above) can hit hard, but still not have the terminal effect desired). Pushing +P+ to get that hit, or to push performance, isn't necessary, and falls outside of known or set standards for safety. There's no need.

If there's that much need to push pressure, why not go to a different cartridge?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Do you have pictures? Also, you didn't want to try the 147gr? In the Tnoutdoors9 tests, that did spectacularly.

quote:
Originally posted by xcop:
I tested the 124+p+ gold dot as well as the 115+p+ from Underwood. I used my Glock 19 for both. Fired from 10 feet into Clear Ballistics blocks covered by a layer of 14oz denim,a sweatshirt and a heavy t shirt I got the following.
124+p+ 15.0 inches expanded to .64x.46 for avg .55
115+p+ 12.5innches expanded to .696x.52 avg is .61

115+p+ was gold dot also

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post