SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Remington UMC 38spl 158gr LRN...typically junk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington UMC 38spl 158gr LRN...typically junk? Login/Join 
Picture of jcat
posted
I picked up a box of this stuff at the LGS when I picked my 442 pro up today just to have something to shoot through it. In my previous 637, I ran typically PMC copper round nose stuff for the range.

On two occasions in half a 50rd box, I had bullets that unseated from the brass and locked the gun up. These are not +Ps, just 158gr LRN 38s.

First question, why are 38spl almost twice the price of 9mms...

Second question, is the UMC LRN stuff typically this bad? I've got some gold dots coming for carry, but typically stick to freedom munitions for range ammo. I just am not familiar with UMC or LRN rounds in general so I don't know if this kind of thing is typical or not.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the UMC LRN, but my only experience with UMC ammo was with 125gr enclosed base FMJ ammo. I had cases that split, some of which had to be removed from the cylinder with pliers. Fortunately, the gun wasn't damaged. I notified Remington, sent them the remaining rounds and saved cases, and they reimbursed me for the entire lot. This is just a sample of one, so take it for what it's worth.

I do most of my shooting with PMC 132gr FMJ with the occasional Speer 158gr TMJ +P and have never had a problem with them.

As for the cost difference, my only guess is that 9mm is more popular, so they can produce it in larger amounts, which in turn keeps the per-unit cost down.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the 158 gr. UMC RNL bullets "jumped the crimp". The is due to the combination of somewhat greater recoil with the 158 gr. slug fired from a light weight snubbie. And that some ammo makers put a rather light crimp on low velocity cast bullet loads. The combination of those factors caused the lead bullets to "jump" their rather mild crimps.

If you had been shooting those .38 UMC 158gr. RNL bullets in a 4 inch Model 10 or similar weight revolver this would probably not have come even close to happening.

If you want to use UMC ammo in your snubbie, then the 130 gr. FMC loading. is the way to go. It has an adequate crimp, manageable recoil, cleaner fmj properties and will shoot close POI to the 125-135 gr. Defensvie ammo you likely load your snubbie with.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
It sounds like the 158 gr. UMC RNL bullets "jumped the crimp". The is due to the combination of somewhat greater recoil with the 158 gr. slug fired from a light weight snubbie. And that some ammo makers put a rather light crimp on low velocity cast bullet loads. The combination of those factors caused the lead bullets to "jump" their rather mild crimps.

If you had been shooting those .38 UMC 158gr. RNL bullets in a 4 inch Model 10 or similar weight revolver this would probably not have come even close to happening.

If you want to use UMC ammo in your snubbie, then the 130 gr. FMC loading. is the way to go. It has an adequate crimp, manageable recoil, cleaner fmj properties and will shoot close POI to the 125-135 gr. Defensvie ammo you likely load your snubbie with.

No real tie to UMC, just happened to be in front of me and I needed something. Better price than the store that has the range.

I'll probably buy from Freedom. They have HPs on sale right now at .24 a round.

It will be loaded with 135+P gold dots once they show up from PSA, monday supposedly.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Just an observation from your post is it is just as bad as it has always been..
I don't buy ammo for decades,I reload.
When I run across this brass it goes to scrap bucket.
The problem with the brass is it is 2 to 3 thousands thinner than all other manufactures .
It does not hold the projectile very well.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Remington-UMC brass... once sized it works just fine...

The only Remington that was a problem to load was back in the late 1960s and early 1970s the Military 38Special from Remington had thicker cases and as a result would bulge somewhat when reloaded... It would still chamber ok with the 158gr LRN bullet, but a wad cutter would bulge so much it would not chamber in Colt's pistols... worked fine in S&Ws.

The 158gr lead bullet is the traditional service load in the 38 Special going back to the first 38 Specials over 100 years ago. This load has been historically very accurate. It penetrated well but of course didn't expand... still it was well regarded as a service load for many years.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1348 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ack when revolvers ruled the roost 38's were the cheapest ammo around now that 9mm is on top ( economy of scale) the role is reversed.
I rarely shoot factory 38's for that reason, with my practice loads only costing me about 9 cents per round or under five bucks for fifty. Best price I have seen on factory 38's is around $16.

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post