SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Original S&W Model 19 38 special ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Original S&W Model 19 38 special ammo Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Don't want to use too much 158gr. 357 Magnum ammo to keep my beauty in perfect condition.

What is potent self defense 38 Special ammo that is a step down from the 357 Magnum? Brand and bullet weight would be appreciated.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
These days some so-called 357 Magnum ammunition is downloaded due to the proliferation of tiny, lightweight revolvers like the S&W J-frames. You could use that sort of load or any 38 Special +P.

For anything you’re considering, go to the manufacturers’ web sites and see what they claim for muzzle velocity and bullet weight. It used to be that 38 +P was a real step down in power from anything labeled 357, but although there are still full power 357 loads available, the way to tell is to look at the factory ballistics. (If you have any question that the factory data is correct, which is often inflated, check the YouTube videos that will usually show what actual chronograph data people get.)

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Our department used to issue the 125gr +P JHP .38SPL for our K-frames magnums...they are not as hard on the forcing cone as the same bullet loaded to .357Mag pressures. The stuff we were issued was from Winchester as part of the State purchase....CHP used the same ammo.

At the time, I preferred Federal Hydra-shok...which I guess has now evolved into HST.

If I was looking for a current .38SPL round that was kind to my gun, accurate, and offered decent street performance, I'd look at the Speer 135gr +P Gold Dot

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some recent gel testing from an on-line ammo vendor (I am not affiliated with them in any way)

may be of interest to you -- take the info any way you like Smile

(scroll down for the gel performance)

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com...mmoToGo.com#gel-test

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Buffalo Bore's +P rated 158GR LSWC, aka "FBI Load."

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Take a look at Buffalo Bore's +P rated 158GR LSWC, aka "FBI Load."

That load won't really address the OP's desire to keep his M19 in "perfect condition"...it is almost as tough on a gun as the "Treasury Load"

If you're considering going that route, you'd be better off with a light .357Mag loading

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Another source of data is the testing of 38 / 357 done by Lucky Gunner. Lots of data presented in an easy to compare format.

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...ver-ballistics-test/

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of 158 grain .357 in my 6" k frame and it's still tight and no issues.

A step down would be 158 grain +P .38 special. I wouldn't trust non +p .38 special for self defense. The +p is pretty anemic in my k frame compared to .357 158 grain.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who contributed. The Sig Forum is a great place to gain info.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Golden Sabre in .357 Mag and .38 special are both good loads. The .357 Mag is a lite load, so not too bad.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the 125gr ammo. I’ve read that a constant diet causes a cutting of the forcing cone.
Winchester 158gr 38 plus p hollow point will do you proud. All lead

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to second Bubbatimes recommendation of the Remington Golden Sabre 125 grain .357. It's a mid-range magnum that your model 19 will handle easily and is a significant step up from .38 loads.

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I'll third the Golden Sabre 125 gr .357. I used it in my Model 19, 13, and use it in my Python as well. No need to step down to a .38 and deal with the extra carbon buildup in the cylinder. It's pretty tame as far as Magnums go.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Golden Saber in K-frames too.
Good if you want more then a 38 special. But, les then a full 357 magnum. John!

Posts: 113 | Registered: April 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Golden Sabre in .357 Mag and .38 special are both good loads. The .357 Mag is a lite load, so not too bad.

This.

John!

Posts: 113 | Registered: April 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post