SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Match-Grade 9mm Ammo?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Match-Grade 9mm Ammo? Login/Join 
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Federal 9BP, 115 grain JHP.

Most accurate factory load I've shot in 9mm pistols over a 30 year time span. It is the load I test in every 9mm to determine it's level of accuracy. It's also what I load up at the range when other shooters care to wager.

No losses to date.

Surpassed by many defensive loadings since it's heyday, but I do not hesitate to carry it, even now. Keep a few cases around just because it groups so well.

YMMV.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to the Federal 115 grain 9BP load. Consistently the most accurate load that I ahve found...

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD2:
+1 to the Federal 115 grain 9BP load. Consistently the most accurate load that I ahve found...

I've been impressed with my first (recently) 900 rounds of Fed 155 9BP, indoor 50 foot range, from CZ TS.

I just ordered another case.

During August, I hope to try it at 25 and 50 yards, outdoors range.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
A really Match Grade 9mm round is the offering from ASYM...a little spendy, but very accurate

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by JD2:

I've been impressed with my first (recently) 900 rounds of Fed 155 9BP, indoor 50 foot range, from CZ TS.

I just ordered another case.

During August, I hope to try it at 25 and 50 yards, outdoors range.

I'd be interested in the 25 and 50 yard results.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SgtGold,

Accuracy depends on the gun, of course... Out of my Browning GP Comp, Federal 9BP will usually go around one inch or under for 5 shot groups at 25 yards. Out of my 226's 9BP will usually run between 1.5" to 2" for 5 shot groups at 25 yards. Out of either my Finnish 1923 Luger or my Interarms Mauser P-08's 5 shot groups usually run around 1.25" or so.... I haven't had a chance to try it in my new 210 target yet, but it's definitely one of the first loads that I plan on trying.

Some of my handloads are the equal of 9BP, but none of them are markedly more accurate...

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to get some of this stuff and see how it shoots out of several of my pistols.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I never got around to the 50 yard testing of the Federal 9BP, but it's available again at sgammo.com

Check out this video from Atlanta Arms about their Elite 9MM AMU loads at 50 yards:

https://youtu.be/nE6ronSKtms

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Eley...the RimFire people...are coming out with a CF line, starting with 9mm.

After much testing, they are going to load it with the excellent 124gr FMJ from Rocky Mountain Reloading

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Doubt anyone's still looking at this thread but DoubleTap also makes 9mm fmj match ammo. Sign up for their email list and they often have 30%-40% off sales with free shipping.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Doubt anyone's still looking at this thread ...

Sure they areSmile Thanks for the add'l info, guys!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most accurate 9mm load I have ever fired in 30 years is Corbon 115gr +P+ at 1350 fps it was a bit snappy. But very accurate out to 100yds out of my P226. Dinner plate sized targets was challenging but very doable.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results from Federal Syntech Action Pistol 9mm luger 150gr.

It is very consistent in velocity with 3-5 FPS std deviation. It shoots nice and light so after 500 rounds you can still feel your hand. Has the least muzzle rise of any 9mm I have tried.

It shoots the tightest groups through my P229 and P226 Legions. Next best for me has been the Federal 147gr FMJ.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 20, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I will be interested to see how the new military M1152 ball ammo compares in precision to other types. The articles I’ve read claim that it is loaded to somewhat higher specs than the typical FMJ stuff I’m accustomed to using. In addition, its bullet is closer in shape to 9mm jacketed hollow point, and long ago the FBI reportedly found that that shape difference was part of the reason JHP was more precise.

I ordered some to try, but I’m not sure that my guns and skill will be able to demonstrate whatever advantages it has.

https://www.sgammo.com/product...chester-m1152-active

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen a significant increase in accuracy across multiple 9mm pistols ( in some cases 25 and 50 yard groups cut in half) with the following:
Double tap “colt national match” 9mm
RWS match 9mm ( box states made in Switzerland)
Both are 124 grain bullet weight fmj
Even going back to my years on a military team using beretta pistols, I had the chance to do ransom rest testing of beretta rack issue guns we used for “combat matches” and with the standard 124 grain Winchester ball ammo used at the time, many of the guns ran around 2” 25 yard groups. Pretty good for standard issue ammo out of unmodified guns!

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Remembering that not so long ago, I could have ordered cases and cases of this stuff at 22 cents per round, I sprained my ankle trying to kick myself in the ass.

Just ordered some from TargetSportsUSA for 51 cents each. Big Grin Frown Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

posted Hide Post
9BP is always a good bet. But guns vary, my PPC friend gets better accuracy with 147 gr Federal, I don't know if it is HS or HST. He saves that for 50 yards and shoots cheaper ammo at 7, 15, and 25.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 9BP shines in the accuracy department.

I think this was 15 yards. It was offhand, not from a rest.

Twenty rounds. Pistol was a P226 Sport Stock, which didn't harm matters in the slightest.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I rolled my own like here
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/...6-9mm-hardball-loads

A lot of Commercial 9mm for Bullseye seems to be Atlanta Arms and ASYM

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David Sams used to build the premier Beretta 92s for Leg Match competitions. This is the load he used in his guns. For those who roll their own.

A Beretta 92 Load Recipe From David Sams:

A 9mm load that I have been using for testing (both in barrels and completed upgraded 92's) that has been proven sub 1.5" groups at 50 yds out of the barrel test fixture is as follows:

Starline brass
115gr Hornady FMJ-RN bullet
6.0 - 6.2gr Alliant Power Pistol powder
Rem #5 1/2 SP primers
O.A.L. -- 1.120" no-crimp

Out of the barrel test fixture using Bar-Sto barrels groups have consistently run between .975" to 1.5" averaging about 1".

Through my completed 92F's it's been running 1.3" -- 1.5" as a reminder these are hand-loaded.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post